Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloading kicks me off internet

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ixcuincle

ixcuincle

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

I got a new Dell laptop yesterday. Everything appears fine but the touchpad and the wireless.

I was able to fix the touchpad by flat out ignoring it and getting a wireless mouse. Now, the only problem is the wireless. I'll be downloading files, and then I will suddenly be kicked off the internet.

The laptop is a Dell, and this appears to be a rampant problem with the wireless device on these computers. I am not warned at all when I am kicked off, and the connection icon in the lower right tray indicates 5 bars, even though I cannot access any internet functions.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice to address this issue. The disconnection seems to happen after 4 or 5 minutes, so larger files tend to disrupt the connection.

I doubt this has to do with the ISP, since I was able to use the internet without any issue at all on my older laptop. I am also using Windows 7 Home edition.

Edited by ixcuincle, 17 June 2012 - 09:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:41 PM

Try updating the wifi card's drivers.

You can find the drivers for your computer at this site: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriversHome/NeedProductSelection you'll just need to enter the service tag or make/model on that page.

#3 ixcuincle

ixcuincle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:13 PM

I have attempted to do that, the wifi drivers from Dell are up to date.

I have concluded for sure that any type of long-term download disconnects the internet. Have tried to download World of Warcraft from the installer, and the internet disconnects. I then tried to download Battlefield: Bad Company 2 off Steam to test the internet, and see if it disconnected (it did). I can download at 1.6 or 1.7 MB/s for a few minutes, then the speed gradually reduces to 0, and the internet disconnects.

This is weird, because I was able to download Team Fortress 2 earlier yesterday, when I just got the Laptop. I was able to download that successfully for a long period of time...and then I installed the Windows 7 updates, which is when the problems started to occur.

--------------

Update on the situation: I have disabled the Dell Wireless utility, which has been responsible for some of the troubles. The internet is more consistent now, but I still get kicked off (although more rarely) for downloading simple things like QuickTime installers. I really don't know what's wrong with this laptop.

Edited by ixcuincle, 17 June 2012 - 09:01 PM.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:46 AM

Try changing router's signal channel and then toggle from mixed mode to n or g frequency. You might wanna check your protection software features or you might be running two antivirus or firewall or additional features that might interfere.

Tekken

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:34 PM

I have a Dell Studio that I have had no problems with at all. What Wireless adapter does your laptop have? I have the Dell 2GGYM.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users