Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes on a USB

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 therockwall

therockwall

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

So i was wondering how i could go about putting MBAM on a usb. its formatted to FAT32. please reply step by step intructions. I need to use MBAM on a friend on mine's computer to clean it up. Please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:19 AM

You can only place the setup file on a USB stick for transfer and installation to the hard drive. There is no portable file from the vendor which you can use to unzip and run a scan from the usb stick.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 therockwall

therockwall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:02 PM

Well, how would i go about putting the setup on it?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:47 AM

You just download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (mbam-setup-1.61.0.1400.exe) and save it to your usb stick.

#5 ranget

ranget

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:03 AM

i think there was a program that made other program portable
i don't know worht trying ?

anyway there is a replacment
Supterantispyware Portable version
Drweb Cureit

A big thanks to Dider Stevens

sorry for not being around

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:07 AM

Yes, there are portable versions of Malwarebytes Antimalware available from third-party vendors but they are not officially supported by Malwarebytes due to issues and concerns for using a portable environment. Some portable versions are pirated (cracked) copies created without authorization from the Malwarebytes Team and hosted on file sharing sites. Visiting such sites is a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information. File sharing networks are thoroughly infected and infested with malware according to Senior Virus Analyst, Norman ASA. For this reason I would not recommend using any of them. If you choose to use such a version, then you do so at your own risk. However, a portable version has been suggested from time to time to the Malwarebytes Developers. See this discussion thread.

#7 Supportrix

Supportrix

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:00 AM

There are no portable versions of malware bytes but you can copy installation files and the installer into your usb stick and install it in your friends PC...

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:27 AM

There are no portable versions of malware bytes but you can copy installation files and the installer into your usb stick and install it in your friends PC...

This is basically correct with one problem - The program is outdated within a few hours, so you are using an old version.
Both DrWeb Cure It and S.A.S are updated on a regular basis.~ S.A.S. is updated sometimes 3 times a day. I just checked mine -

With MBAM, you are better to always have it installed and use the " Chameleon " version if you are infected -

Good Luck -

#9 themantis

themantis

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:05 AM

In order to have malwarebytes to work in win7, you need to add the one of its folder located in C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes (**it's a hidden folder).. then add the folder onto the .wim file.

steps:

1. Dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:C:\test\images\myimage.wim /index:1 /MountDir:C:\test\

then browse to the location of the mounted .wim dir and past the " C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes" folder into your .wim ProgramData folder

2. Dism /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:C:\test\ /commit

3. done.

#10 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:19 AM

Hi, @themantis:

You wrote:

In order to have malwarebytes to work in win7, you need to add the one of its folder located in C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes (**it's a hidden folder).. then add the folder onto the .wim file.

steps:

1. Dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:C:\test\images\myimage.wim /index:1 /MountDir:C:\test\

then browse to the location of the mounted .wim dir and past the " C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes" folder into your .wim ProgramData folder

2. Dism /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:C:\test\ /commit

3. done.

First: this thread is 4 years old.  It's unlikely the OP is still following it, and anything that might have applied to MBAM back in 2012 most likely would NOT be relevant or applicable today.

Second: the procedure you describe is not supported.  If you need help getting MBAM installed and running on a heavily infected system, please post back and let us know. We'll be happy to assist you with that, in the proper forum area or at the MBAM support forums and in a manner that does not violate the EULA.

Thanks,

MM

Edited by MoxieMomma, 14 March 2016 - 11:20 AM.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 04:43 PM

Since this topic is so old it would be better to just start a new topic of your own if you have further questions, comments or need assistance.

Thanks,
The BC Staff

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users