Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some Programs will Not Open

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:16 PM

Hi All,
Recently, I found out that Apple Software Update doesn't work anymore. When I click on the program, the dialog box comes up and then the "Checking for New Software" box with the bar that's supposed to go across to check for updates. But when this appears, it closes immediately without checking.

Being a bit of a savvy computer user, I found that I cannot access certain registry keys, especially in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. When I select a key resembling Apple, I get an error that says:

"xxx cannot be opened. An error is preventing this key from being opened...access is denied."

When I right-click on the key and select permissions, there are NO permissions set...the key is void. Several keys (not just Apple keys)

I don't know how this happened or why it happened...it worked fine a while ago.

I also had a similar problem on Quicktime with an "Error 46" issue which could not access an ActiveX control or something like that. However, this problem is all over the internet and googling it will help you find a fix which involves downloading Microsoft's SUBINACL tool and running a script.

I've also lost permissions on keys for HP Update.

So, several of my HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE keys have void permissions and "nothing" under the Security tab (no Owner, no Administrator, or SYSTEM, etc.)

I also use very similar software on my 64-bit Laptop but I do not have those problems with Apple or HP Software.

My computer specs:
32-Bit Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1 fully up to date
Intel Dual Core 2.8GHZ
Intel 945G Chipset

Apple Products affected:
1) Apple Software Update
2) Quicktime (only when I update it, then I get the Error 46 problem)
3) HP Update (I created a script and fixed it, but again, if I update HP Update itself, the void keys are re-created).

Any help would be appreciated.
Thx.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:42 AM

FWIW

Louis

#3 mohaqeq

mohaqeq

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:57 PM

I've been having the same issue w/ Apple Software Update (ASU) since I think when I updated iTunes to the latest version about a week ago.
At first, restarting ASU a couple of times would eventually make it work correctly, but now even that doesn't help. I've tried uninstall/reinstall of ASU & repair of iTunes to no avail. When starting ASU, the "checking for new software" dialog box appears for a sec and immediately closes & then ASU just sits there doing/showing nothing; same effect if I click "File -> Check for updates" in the ASU window.
I_am_Canadian... can you explain which registry entries have the issues you mentioned? What do you mean by keys "resembling Apple"? Have you gotten any closer to a resolution?

#4 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:22 PM

Well mohaqeq, I feel your pain.

This may sound weird, but the problem seemed "to fix itself". However, it IS a permission problem with some of the keys in the registry and any Apple related software seems to screw these permissions up every time you update an Apple Software product. Remember, iTunes also updates other components as well, including Apple Software update.
Everytime I updated Quicktime (through ASU), I couldn't run the bloody thing. I had to run a script I found on the internet to reset access to registry keys and then it would work again.

Before I can help you out, please provide some details of your box.

Operating System, Service Pack.
Processor
Amount of RAM, also 32-bit or 64-bit?
Antivirus Software & Version
Any 3rd party firewall? Which one?
Any imaging software installed (eg: Macrium Reflect, Acronis True Image, etc.)
All Apple Software installed

Cheers.

#5 mohaqeq

mohaqeq

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:55 AM

OS is XP MCE SP3 32bit. Comodo firewall & Kaspersky are running. Installed Apple software are Quicktime, iTunes, Safari, Apple Application Support, Apple Software Update, but Apple Mobile Device Support has been uninstalled and iPod Service is disabled. I only use ASU to see which updates are available, then close it and download & run the updates separately.

#6 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

Thanks for the information. Well, that rules out my theory. We have different operating systems and software installed on our computer so that eliminates a compatibility problem. Also, only my 32-bit machine is affected. My 64-bit laptop has no permission issues with the registry.

I'm reluctant to tell you what I did since it only worked temporarily. However, look at the second post down in this thread...hamluis (aka: "Louis") provided a link that basically gets to the root of the issue but it may or may not solve your problem.

Whatever causes programs not to work anymore for no apparent reason due to access control permissions remains a mystery.

Here's what I did (I cannot guarantee it will work for you, so do this at your own risk)

Download this small program.
Install the program.

Now open Notepad and copy and paste the script below in the code box:

cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\*.* /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose

Go to File-Save and change the drop down box "Save as Type" to All Files (*.*)
Name the file reset.cmd and save it to your desktop.

<Note: if you don't save it as All Files (*.*), you will end up with a text file named: reset.cmd.txt. You don't want a plain text file.

Next:

1) Make a System Restore Point, name it something like: "Before Resetting permissions".
2) Double-click the file saved on your desktop. You will see a Command window open with a lot of writing scrolling down on the screen. Just let it go..it may take a while. When it's complete, the window will automatically close.

3) Reboot the computer.

Try Apple Software Update again.

If something went wrong or you get new problems, simply restore your computer to the restore point you made earlier to get where you started.

NOTE: If you find that any users are no longer shown on the Windows Login screen, let me know. They did NOT get deleted, there is a workaround.

Good luck.

#7 mohaqeq

mohaqeq

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:48 PM

Thanks I_am_Canadian... for the suggestions. But I'm not quite clear as to how much this procedure helped you, since you say "it only worked temporarily," and that the problem "fixed itself." Did the problem recur even after you reset the permissions? I uninstalled all Apple software, rebooted and installed Quicktime, but Software Update is acting the same way. I guess this is consistent w/ the assumption of incorrect permission settings in parent registry entries. I looked at a few ASU registry entries and the permissions seemed ok to me; didn't have problem viewing those entries. Which registry entries in your system had wrong permission settings? Also, since you mentioned it specifically, I have Acronis True Image Home installed, but it didn't seem to have caused any conflicts previously.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users