Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Log of programs uninstalled in windows?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DGREW

DGREW

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:59 PM

Is there a readable log that shows programs that have been unistalled?

I was dealing with a creepy redirecting malware and I was connecting to bleepingcomputer.com a few times. I went back to connect to bleepingcomputer.com and the connection failed. I did some diagnosis and the detailed info said "The device or resource (www.bleepingcomputer.com) is not set up to accept connections on port “The World Wide Web service (HTTP)”." This was the only site that seemed to be targeted - I could connect to all other sites as far as I could tell.

I used Malwarebytes and it found and removed a few files and one directory. I still could not connect to Bleepingcomputer. I looked through the programs that had been installed and found wone I did not recognize - which was installed just about the time of my problems. Then I made a mistake - I uninstalled it without getting a screen shot or writing down the name. The good news - I could now connect to Bleeping computer - but Id like to find out what the ell that was.

So - if there is a log that I can see what I uninstalled - I hope someong can let me know.

Thanks for any advise or information.

Regards DRP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:37 AM

Worth a look, http://superuser.com/questions/147365/find-what-programs-were-uninstalled-from-win-vista .

Louis

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:43 AM

giving that the program could have been a virus/trojan ,not sure i would want to do a system restore to bring it back !!
if it was a virus or a trojan i would actually delete any old system restore points

Edited by caperjac, 17 June 2012 - 04:44 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

You might be able to check the Malwarebytes log to see if it's listed there.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 DGREW

DGREW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:01 PM

Thanks to all for the recommendations. Nothing on Malwarebytes. I definitely don't want to do a restore and have it show up again.

Have seen no evidence of it or the symptom - which seemed odd because it appeared to target specifically Bleepingcomputer.com - and as far as I could tell - only that site.

Thanks again,

DRP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users