Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Keeps Shutting down

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dumafach

dumafach

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

I have a HP Pavillion Media Center computer. Model number m8530f. It has AMD Phenom 9550 quad core 2.2GHz CPU, 5GB Ram, 750GB Hard drive and Windows Vista 64Bit Home Premium OS. I just recently had to change the Nvidia 9300 video card, the fan went out, I installed a new fan but, the video was still jumpy so I installed a XFX ONE Graphics card. Model number ON-XFX1-PL. XFX ONE 1GB DDR3 HDMI DVI VGA PCI-E. I started having this problem soon after installing this card. My computer will just shut down. It used to stay on for awhile and then just shut down. Now it seems as soon as it starts and I wait for everything to start up it will shut down. I checked the CPU temp once while it was on and it showed 51 degrees celcius. I dont know what to check now. Especially since it wont stay on long enough to run any test. I would appreciate any advice.

Edited by hamluis, 16 June 2012 - 06:07 PM.
Moved from Vista to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:38 PM

Hi

Are you sure you didn't exceed the power supply capabilities?

They will shut down if overloaded too.

Is the power supply up to the cards requirements?

What happens if you put the old card back in?

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 dumafach

dumafach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:38 PM

Hello rotor123,

I had to have the power supply replaced once so I don't know what it is. Is there a way to check it out to see what it is without removing it?

I put the other card back in but is is choppy video. I have a widescreen monitor connected to the computer and also a 42 inch HDTV through the HDMI out.

I will check with the place that did my power supply and see if they know what they installed. I can't remember for sure but it seems like I heard them say something like between 600 and 650 watt. I am trying to look through the paper work on the new card now to see what it requires.

I ran it in safe mode and had no problems but could not test anything. I went into setup and changed the setting so it would automatically power back up after a power outage. It will come back on after it shuts down.

Thanks for the reply.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:52 AM

If it did not shut down with the old card but does with the new card then,
Either the card is bad or it is overloading the power supply and causing it to shut down. Those are the most likely scenarios.

Now you need to see what the card needs and what the power supply is and go from there. How old are both of them?

Here you say

I ran it in safe mode and had no problems but could not test anything. I went into setup and changed the setting so it would automatically power back up after a power outage. It will come back on after it shuts down.

Are you saying it ran fine in safe mode with the new card?
If so can you go into tak manager and see what the CPU load is in regular mode?

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 19 June 2012 - 09:56 AM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 dumafach

dumafach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:22 AM

Hello rotor123,

It did not shut down in safe mode but stated that it was not using any resources from the card. I just figured it was using on board video.

I just found on the box that it requires at least a 400watt power supply. I checked with the place that installed my power supply and they told me they installed a 300watt power supply.

I did not check the CPU load in safe mode. Right now the CPU load is high at 75% average on all 4 cores. What is weird is it states Nero Media Home is using most of the load and I am not using it.

I told my computer place to order me a 500watt power supply and will have it installed on friday. If there is something else I should do also please let me know and I will have it done then.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:10 AM

Hello rotor123,

It did not shut down in safe mode but stated that it was not using any resources from the card. I just figured it was using on board video.

To have been using the onboard video your monitor would have had to be connected to the onboard video. In safe mode the drivers are not being used.

I just found on the box that it requires at least a 400watt power supply. I checked with the place that installed my power supply and they told me they installed a 300watt power supply.

Hopefully when that gets changed all will be well!

I did not check the CPU load in safe mode. Right now the CPU load is high at 75% average on all 4 cores. What is weird is it states Nero Media Home is using most of the load and I am not using it.

That has to be slowing the computer down. Can you uninstall or disable just that part of Nero or are you even using Nero?

I told my computer place to order me a 500watt power supply and will have it installed on Friday. If there is something else I should do also please let me know and I will have it done then.

If you don't feel comfortable working on the Nero yourself and we can't get it fixed by then......

For what it is worth the choppy video with the old card could be the High CPU usage with Nero.
What happens if you put back the old card, and using the task manager kill that Nero process. Is the video still choppy then? Maybe you don't need the new card which would mean you wouldn't need to upgrade the power supply right now.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#7 dumafach

dumafach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:26 PM

I stopped nero media home from starting and running, that brought my cpu usage down to 6%.
I installed a new 500watt power supply.
I stopped the on board 8200nvidia card from auto updating.

Everything seems to be working fine now. I hope it stays this way.

Thank you for all the help and suggestions.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:23 PM

Glad to hear it. :thumbsup:

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users