Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Black screen of death followed by driver issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sirion

Sirion

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:58 PM

Windows 7 Home, SP1. Black Screen with Moveable Cursor followed by driver issues with mouse.

My diablo3 account got hacked about a week ago. Following that, I reinstalled Malware bytes, ad-aware, and spybot and did full scans/immunizations with each. I think I had one hit with spybot in my cookies? Nothing like a keylogger.

A few days later, after my first reboot to install a flash update or something, I got the Black Screen with cursor after bootup. It actually took a really long time to go black - there was a lot going on. A couple updates were downloading/installing, but then after like 5 minutes of non-responsive explorer (couldn't open start menu) it went to Black Screen with cursor. Happened again upon reboot.

Booted to safe mode with networking, found a forum post that mentioned something about dll access permissions. I loaded up that section, fixed my administrator permissions to all. It did some things, but threw errors for C:\windows\system32 and C:\program files(x86), if I remember correctly.

Tried rebooting normally, it worked. Couple days later, automatic windows update rebooted my computer, and my mouse (razer) stopped working. I believe this is a driver issue, as I had the same problem when I first installed the mouse. The buttons work fine but it doesn't pick up the movement.

I'm worried I haven't fixed the issue completely, and I'm not entirely sure where it came from in the first place.

It should be noted that I don't have easy access to another system to boot under to change the drive permissions that way.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by boopme, 16 June 2012 - 08:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:56 PM

Hello, what is the Operating System?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Sirion

Sirion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:03 PM

It's windows 7 Home Premium SP1. I edited my above post to repeat that and add a little clarity.

Edited by Sirion, 16 June 2012 - 08:04 PM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:40 PM

OK, sorry I missed it ,,, I am moving this to WIN 7
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:29 AM

Have you tried running the Win 7 Startup Repair option?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/startup-repair

Your boot files could be damaged.

If it were me...I'd also run the sfc /scannow command, to check for/replace any obviously damaged system files.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users