Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CCTV Camera - Question about recording sizes (megabites etc..)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:13 PM

I am buying this camera from Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-Network-WIFI-IP-Camera-Security-LED-IR-Night-Vision-WHITE-/140759839691?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item20c5f0b3cb

Based on those specifications, if i was to perform 24/7 recording for this camera at around 3FPS, how much storage would be required per hour/per day etc... Only so i know how big of a hard drive i would need as i am looking to keep around 30 days of recording before overwriting occurs on the oldest recording.

Thanks.

PS - I wasn't sure what section to put this in, so sorry if its the wrong section.

Thanks again!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:27 PM

With the three variables listed below, always record or record on motion detection, 2 resolutions, and a unknown compression scheme......

video can be recorded when motion is detected or according to a defined schedule.
Resolution: VGA (640x480) / CIF (320x240)
Video Compress Format: M-JPEG and no way to know how efficient that implementation is.

That page says 30FPS.
Bit rate 128kbps to 5Mbps

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-mbps-and-mbps.htm

MBps is an abbreviation for Megabytes per second, whereas Mbps is an abbreviation for megabits per second. Eight megabits equal one Megabyte. 8 bits = 1 byte

So 5Mbps (5,000,000) divide by 8 times 60 = usage per minute. Multiply that times 60 minutes per hour and 24 hour per day times 30 days to get a rough space requirement. If I didn't mess up the math I came up with around 900 Megabytes per day.
Most of the PC based security systems I've seen are arou8nd 500GB to 1TB

Those figures presume that the webpage you linked is accurate.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 18 June 2012 - 04:28 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:50 PM

Thanks very much for this!! To make the recordings last longer, i will just put them on record on motion detection :)

Thanks again!

#4 installer

installer

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:59 AM

Yes motion detection is very useful.

But remember on top of standard compressions many manufacturers will add their own internal compression to the imaging. So always check with the manufacturers. They might even give you a free calculator with their products to calculate bandwidth and storage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users