Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seeking new knowledge ( SSD, processor, and RAM)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Del64

Del64

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:13 PM

Hello,

I recently upgraded my Acer aspire A0722 to 4gigs of DDR3 ram and a 256GB SSD hard drive. It has a dual core processor 1.333GHz. I use this computer to primarily for traveling back and forth to class and home. I've noticed a significant change in its performance, battery life, and weight but I was wondering a few things (Some of these may seem like common sense but I wanted to ask to gain further knowledge):

I've noticed somethings (like installations..ect) seem to take a bit more time. Is the speed limited to the RAM and or processor? Would it be worth upgrading the processor?
Since I upgraded the RAM it gets a little warmer. Is there anything else I should upgrade?
Any thing else helpful about these upgrades?

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

System is a netbook...which has certain implications, IMO.

a. System is not intended for upgrading key components.

b. System is not intended for heavy computing, is not designed/assembled in the same manner that a laptop designed for power computing, gaming, etc. might be designed. My understanding is that netbooks are intended to be used primaerily for lmobile, ight computing needs and Internet accessibility.

System Specs

Soooo...my questions would be what are you trying to run on this system?

Please...Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 .

I'm not a knowledgeble hardware person. so take all that I say with that knowledge :).

As for changing the drive to an SSD and installing the max that the system supports...neither of those things should contribute to perceived system slowness...with the possible exception of your adding RAM that is incompatible/slower than the original RAM installed.

Any number of things can slow a system down in actuality...and your perception of a slowdown may also be an erroneous perception. As long as the same apps are installed now as compared to the period to which you are mentally comparing performance and no other factors have changed that can result in a differential...performance should be at least just as good.

If you post the Speccy link, we will be able to make somewhat better guesses at what is going on.

Louis

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:26 PM

In general when I upgraded my Toshiba low end dual core with a SSD everything got faster. Boot up is much faster, Installs are faster, Security updates are faster. Virus scans go much faster and with less heat from the SSD vs the hard drive it is overall cooler. Windows installs go much faster.

I'm not sure whats up with yours.

It should be faster not slower. Did you do a clean install or did you clone the old drive. OCZ for example does recommends a new install. Intel provides free software to clone your old drive. I suspect that it depends on the maker. The one thing I'm sure of is yours isn't a Intel brand.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users