Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comcast ad/alert Blocking View of Web Pages

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cycle1

cycle1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:42 PM

Earlier this week a large box, similar looking to & acting as a pop up ad, now appears on most internet screens, except some online applications (using Explorer, Firefox and Chrome) – on every computer in the house (using Windows XP Pro and 7) and on our various smart phones. The box is branded Comcast Xfinity and states:

“AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM COMCAST… Xfinity has detected a problem! We are unable to verify subscription to Xfinity internet service for this IP address. Call 855-460-9707 for assistance! Unless verified within 10 days, network access associate with this IP address will be terminated.”

The box moves with the page when scowling and usually disappears after about 3 minutes. Our internet service is provided by Comcast. We called Comcast customer service (not above no.) three times and they can’t help. I reluctantly called the above no. and they answer as Market Link, give a sales pitch and want to verify my IP address – which I did not do with them.

Right clicking on Comcast & Xfinity logos appearing on the box and selecting "View Image Info" this appears: http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/BotAssistance/notice/images/message-by-comcast.gif This not happen when right clicking on other locations within the box.

In attempt to resolve issue I have: released my IP and renewed; ran AVG in safemode; and ran SpyBot Search & Destroy.
What is this and how is it removed?

Screen shots are available. Feel free to ask questions.
Thanks!!

Edited by cycle1, 16 June 2012 - 01:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:49 PM

Since you are a Comcast customer:

I suggest you post in the Comcast Help Forums. If nothing else, your issue can be escalated to the forum administrator who can set the wheels in motion for a resolution.

Those Forums are provided to Comcast customers, and are a great resource for vendor specific issues. There are Forums for computer issues, email issues, security, internet, cable tv, CDV, billing, and customer service.
Many times we, the users there, can provide answers tech support and customer service can't.

Click the link below. The forum landing page will open. Click Sign In. Log in with your Comcast user ID (the part before .net) and your password. You will next see a first time forum users page, asking you to choose a screen name for use in the Forums. Once you set that up, you'll be taken back to the landing page. PLEASE DO NOT USE YOUR COMCAST EMAIL NAME FOR YOUR FORUM USER NAME.

http://forums.comcast.com/

Before posting, take a moment to read the Posting Guidelines. The link is on the top right hand side of the page.

Then choose the appropriate board to post in. In your case I suggest you post in the Security forum. It can be moved if it's determined that is not the place for it.

One thing to be aware of: By default you will be notified via email every time someone replies to a topic you have started or replied in. If you do not wish to receive the notifications you can disable them by clicking My Settings/Subscriptions & Bookmarks tab. Uncheck the box next to Automatically subscribe me to topics I participate in. Scroll down and click Save.

(Once you get to the forum, save the page to your favorites/bookmarks. If you want to get to it from the Comcast home page, you have to jump through hoops to reach it)

Screenshots would be very helpful. However, Comcast is quirky and new posters do not have the ability to post screenshots until they have a certain number of posts. The magic number used to be 10. Something has been going on lately with this and I don't know if the number has changed or if there is something wacky with the forum software.

The alternative if you do post in that forum is send me a pm here at BC and include any screenshots in the pm. I can then post them at Comcast.

The URL address of the link seems to indicate the Constant Guard service is trying to tell you something but I have no idea what. I've never seen anyone report receiving that message.

If you use the Constant Guard Protection Suite provided by Comcast please mention that. It may not have anything to do with your issue because there is another Constant Guard service that alerts users to possible bots on their systems. Your message is not about bots though which is why I'm puzzled.

edit to add: I also posted there asking other experts if they are familiar with your message.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 16 June 2012 - 05:10 PM.

#3 cycle1

cycle1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:24 PM

Queen-Evie, thanks for your detailed response and assistance. As suggested, I posted the same problem description on Comcast’s “Security” forum (see: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/Comcast-Ad-Alert-on-All-WebPages-PCs-amp-Phones-Help-needed/td-p/1316485).

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p635/cyclespeeed/NewPicture3.png

Edited by cycle1, 16 June 2012 - 08:34 PM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:27 PM

I just saw it. I'll update my post to the other experts to let them know you posted.

I will also post your screenshot.

#5 cycle1

cycle1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:29 PM

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p635/cyclespeeed/NewPicture.png

#6 cycle1

cycle1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:36 PM

Thanks. I just replaced the above link with a better screen shot. Typing this difficult, can’t see what I’m typing.

#7 cycle1

cycle1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:05 PM

Problem Resolved: We called Comcast Security (CS) today (NOT the number on the popup) and they resolved the problem (three prior calls to Customer Service were a waste of time, as were calls to the number on teh popup).

CS confirmed that Comcast sent and caused the popup to appear on all of our PC's and phones. They send the popup notice to accounts they believe are past due or are illegally receiving Comcast internet service. We fit neither category so CS contacted "the department" responsible for sending the popup notice and had it stopped/turned off (although they said it could return - great!).

We are now popup free!

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:18 PM

Thanks for the update here and at Comcast.

Now we know what to tell people if they have the same issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users