Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chkdsk Unrecoverable Problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hottrod33

Hottrod33

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:18 PM

Ok, so approx. 5 months ago I turned on my computer and it would not boot. I believe it was indicating a missing system32 .dll file. I have put it on the back burner.

Today, trying to tackle it again. I attempt to but boot and receive:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

Different error than before.

So, I run F12 from boot menu and run IDE Hard Drive Diagnostic, and the Hard Drive indicates a PASS.

I then boot from Recovery Console Disk and attempt to run chkdsk. However, I immediately receive the error:
"The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems"

So, is the hard drive toast? And if so, why would the IDE test pass but not the chkdsk?

Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:31 PM

Boot to the XP CD and select R (Recovery Console)

At the command prompt type:

ren c:\windows\system32\config\system system.old
copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config

Reboot

#3 Hottrod33

Hottrod33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

I attempted the rename line of code and received the following:
"Access is denied."

In case this helps, I have also attempted the directory command and received the following error.

C:\>dir

Return:
" Directory of C:\"

"An error occurred during directory enumeration."

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:38 PM

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001213.htm

#5 Hottrod33

Hottrod33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:52 PM

So basically, the hard drive is toast and there is no hope for recovery?

Why would the hard drive "PASS" an IDE hard drive diagnostic then?

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

I don't know and I'm not saying the HD is shot, I'm just pointing you to a similar situation and what a site has to say about it. One thing you can try is a repair install:

Boot to the XP CD and choose the SECOND repair option, allowing XP to install on top of itself. After completion you'll need to go to Windows Update and download & install all updates (except for hardware & driver related updates, which should never be downloaded from Windows Update - only from the OEM websites). Here is a clear tutorial on how to perform a repair install: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,414 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:20 PM

FWIW: Chkdsk /r is a file system tool. When it states that the "volume" has errors...those errors can be of 3 types:

a. Files...chkdsk /r normally can handle.

b. Hard drive. which can be confirmed/refuted by hard drive diag.

c. NTFS file system. These types of errors involve the partition, not necessarily the hard drive...and I find them difficult/impossible to troubleshoot. Some users report success with various tools but I just delete the volume and create anew and reinstall Windows. I've seen Test Disk mentioned in connection with file system problems.

Louis

#8 Hottrod33

Hottrod33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:22 PM

Before I did anything else, I ran SeaGate's Diagnostic Tool from a CD. I ran the Short and Long Test and they both PASSED.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users