Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Access DSL modem Setup

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jjonz

jjonz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:17 AM

I have an Actiontec GT701-WG DSL modem.
I cannot access the setup program by entering 192.168.0.1 in browser address bar. It searches for a while and then says page cannot be displayed.
I talked to Century Link and they said it was my problem and not the modem (I have doubts here)
I have checked device manager and all network connections are good and drivers updated.
I pinged this address and get "requested timed out" response.
I can access it wirelessly through my phone.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

jj

Edited by hamluis, 18 June 2012 - 05:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:30 AM

You should have received a CD and instructions...from your ISP...re initiating service.

Did you?

Louis

#3 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:53 AM

If you open a command prompt (start, run, cmd) and type ipconfig /all, what is your ip address, subnet mask and gateway? Also, what operating system are you using?

#4 jjonz

jjonz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:50 PM

Sorry, I should have given this info also. Using windows xp.
Also, I have runn ipconfig and the ethernet adapter local area connection shows "no ip address (0.0.0.0)"

Futher examination shows some sort of DHCP problem. It seems as though the afd and tcip are working. However, I am having trouble with the Netbios over TCPIP. I am getting the following error msg in device manager. "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45). To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer." It is my limited understanding that DHCP requires all three to be running.

I have tried without success to fix this problem.

Thanks again
jj

#5 CenturyLinkHelp

CenturyLinkHelp

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:55 PM

Sorry, I should have given this info also. Using windows xp.
Also, I have runn ipconfig and the ethernet adapter local area connection shows "no ip address (0.0.0.0)"

Futher examination shows some sort of DHCP problem. It seems as though the afd and tcip are working. However, I am having trouble with the Netbios over TCPIP. I am getting the following error msg in device manager. "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45). To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer." It is my limited understanding that DHCP requires all three to be running.

I have tried without success to fix this problem.

Thanks again
jj

Hello!

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you about this.
Typicall when youre computer is pulling a 0.0.0.0 address, and the modem is completely unreachable through your device, it's one of two issues. Either the modem may need a 'hard' reset (by holding in the reset button on the back with a paperclip for about 30 seconds, or, the Ethernet card on your computer is causing the problem.

If you're going to reset the modem, then you'll need to know what your PPP username and password is (the username and password stored in the modem), so it can be reprogrammed once you've put it back to factory defaults. If that doesn't fix this, and you still can't pull a valid IP, then try a different computer (laptop, possibly), and see if it's pingable. If it IS, then your computer's ethernet NIC is the trouble. Unfortunately we don't support ethernet cards, however.

If you have additional questions or concerns, feel free to reach us here: http://on.fb.me/TALKTOUS

Thank you!
-Doug

Edited by hamluis, 18 June 2012 - 05:56 PM.
PM sent re authorized rep status - Hamluis.

#6 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

Is this the only pc you have, or do you have another desktop/laptop connected to it? If you do have another, can it access the web config? What IP info (ipconfig /all) is it pulling? If not, we can assign your pc a static IP and connect to the device to look at its config.

#7 jjonz

jjonz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:47 PM

Everyone
Thanks for the help.

1. I can reset my modem.
2. I have the stored username and password.
3. This would be a little bothersome because I also have a bunch of port forwarding settings I would have to redo. Also, would have to set up my secure wifi again. (all is doable)
4. Here is my ipconfig /all

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\James>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : xxxxxxxxx
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain.actdsltmp
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/
1000Base-T Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1A-92-CC-17-60
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

PPP adapter Qwest:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 71.219.129.136
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 71.219.129.136
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : xxx.xxx.x.xx
xxx.xxx.x.xx

My concern is that it is a computer problem, because I CANNOT ENABLE the NetBIOS over Tcpip.
I know that it one of the dependencies for the DCHP which is also disabled. If resetting the modem will give me access to modem I will be glad to do it, but I feel DCHP is the culprit.

I only have one computer at present, but can access my modem from the internet on my phone.

Thanks again. Any ideas are more than welcome.

jj

#8 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:41 PM

You have a PPP connection setup on your pc (I see you have a static IP set for it as well)? What is this for? Try disabling/disconnecting from it and then see if you can access your router.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users