Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Services.exe

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 douggerbugger

douggerbugger

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 03:00 PM

i have a services.exe problem. i think i have gotten rid of it doing a # of things. the services.exe is under an intet2000 directory in windows, 99% sure that shouldnt be there. 3 instances of services.exe would startup before solving the problem. also it appears that ibm00001 was also starting up as well before i fixed it. whenever i would disable those startup items they would obviously startup. i then noticed that under the system.ini file under [Windows] was the item ;msconfig load=C:\WINDOWS\inet20000\services.exe which i disabled as well but came back. So aftery prying around on google, i saw some posts to where the bad registry key was and deleted it and that prevented anything from starting up again. now there are no more suspicious running processes but i still cannot re-enable windows firewall. i get the message, due to an unidentified problem, windows cannot display firewall settings. i did an avg scan, ad aware and spybot scan and deleted all items in safe mode, but the firewall is still disabled which makes me think that there is still more to the problem to be fixed.

here is my hjt log file

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:45:54 PM, on 3/2/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Stardock\SDMCP.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\Matthew\LOCALS~1\Temp\Rar$EX00.734\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5321E378-FFAD-4999-8C62-03CA8155F0B3} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/...b?1137046636983
O20 - Winlogon Notify: MCPClient - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Stardock\mcpstub.dll
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe

Edited by douggerbugger, 02 March 2006 - 03:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 05:32 PM

Hello,

It looks like you got rid of most of the malware related files... Still some leftovers you have to check and fix in hijackthis:

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5321E378-FFAD-4999-8C62-03CA8155F0B3} - (no file)

Delete this folder if still present:

C:\WINDOWS\inet20000

Also looks if next files are still present and delete them:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Folders\ibm00001.dll
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Folders\ibm00001.exe
Look if in that same folder, there are other files starting with ibm000.... and delete them.

Concerning your firewall, could be some policies are set, or the Sharedaccesskey is corrupted, so let's take a look at them first.

Open notepad and copy and paste next bold from the quotebox in it:

regedit /e peek1.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy"
regedit /e peek2.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall"
regedit /e peek3.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Security Center"
regedit /e peek4.txt "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Security Center"
regedit /e peek5.txt "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall"
type peek1.txt >> look.txt
type peek2.txt >> look.txt
type peek3.txt >> look.txt
type peek4.txt >> look.txt
type peek5.txt >> look.txt
del peek*.txt
start notepad look.txt

Save this as look.bat , choose to save as *all files and place it on your desktop.
It should look like this: Posted Image
Doubleclick look.bat and notepad will open.
Copy and paste the contents in your next reply.
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
My help is ALWAYS FREE, but if you want to donate to help me continue my fight against malware -- click here!
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#3 douggerbugger

douggerbugger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 11:36 PM

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\DomainProfile]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\DomainProfile\GloballyOpenPorts]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\DomainProfile\GloballyOpenPorts\List]
"139:TCP"="139:TCP:*:Enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22004"
"445:TCP"="445:TCP:*:Enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22005"
"137:UDP"="137:UDP:*:Enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22001"
"138:UDP"="138:UDP:*:Enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22002"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\GloballyOpenPorts]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\GloballyOpenPorts\List]
"139:TCP"="139:TCP:LocalSubNet:Enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22004"
"445:TCP"="445:TCP:LocalSubNet:Enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22005"
"137:UDP"="137:UDP:LocalSubNet:Enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22001"
"138:UDP"="138:UDP:LocalSubNet:Enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22002"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Security Center]
"AntiVirusDisableNotify"=dword:00000000
"FirewallDisableNotify"=dword:00000000
"UpdatesDisableNotify"=dword:00000000
"AntiVirusOverride"=dword:00000000
"FirewallOverride"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\AhnlabAntiVirus]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\ComputerAssociatesAntiVirus]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\KasperskyAntiVirus]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\McAfeeAntiVirus]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\McAfeeFirewall]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\PandaAntiVirus]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\PandaFirewall]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\SophosAntiVirus]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\SymantecAntiVirus]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\SymantecFirewall]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\TinyFirewall]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\TrendAntiVirus]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\TrendFirewall]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\ZoneLabsFirewall]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Security Center]
"FirstRun"=dword:00000001

Edited by douggerbugger, 02 March 2006 - 11:39 PM.

#4 douggerbugger

douggerbugger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 12:18 AM

here is my a squared hjt online log. http://www.hijackfree.com/analyze/?id=9808...45-5a0993ae335a just trying to provide as much info as possible

#5 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 01:09 AM

Well, it looks like your sharedaccess key is indeed corrupted.

Perform next:

Download this regfix:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/reg/sharedaccess.reg
Place it on your desktop.
Now doubleclick sharedaccess.reg
Ckick yes/ok at the prompt.

Then REBOOT!! Important!

After reboot, go to start > run and copy and paste next command in the field:

NETSH FIREWALL RESET

Click ok

Wait till the Dosprompt (black window) closes again.
Then look if you can access the firewall settings again.
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
My help is ALWAYS FREE, but if you want to donate to help me continue my fight against malware -- click here!
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#6 douggerbugger

douggerbugger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 01:17 AM

firewall is working fine now. i think most of the problems have been resolved. is there anything else to look at to see if there is still junk or virus on my computer. cause i used avg to scan a specific file ibm00001 and it didnt pick up a virus in it?

#7 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 01:30 AM

Did you read my previous post about the ibm00001?

Anyway, perform next:

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

REBOOT!

Then...

* Perform an onlinescan with panda: (please use this scanner instead of any other scanner!)
Panda Online
- Once you are on the Panda site click the Scan your PC button
- A new window will open...click the Check Now button
- Enter your Country
- Enter your State/Province
- Enter your e-mail address and click send
- Select either Home User or Company
- Click the big Scan Now button
- If it wants to install an ActiveX component allow it
- It will start downloading the files it requires for the scan (Note: It may take a couple of minutes)
- When download is complete, click on Local Disks to start the scan
- When the scan completes, if anything malicious is detected, click the See Report button, then Save Report and save it to a convenient location.
Post the contents of the Panda scan report in your next reply.

Edited by miekiemoes, 03 March 2006 - 01:30 AM.

#8 douggerbugger

douggerbugger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 02:32 AM

ok did everything you said including the removal of ibm00001 files. here is my panda scan log

Incident Status Location

Spyware:Cookie/SpyLog Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\8zhqxs12.default\cookies.txt[]
Adware:Adware/IST.ISTBar Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\javainstaller.jar-5aa0b436-4ba31353.zip[InstallerApplet.class]
Possible Virus. Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\kl1.exe
Adware:adware/cws.searchmeup Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\uniq

#9 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 12:53 PM

Hello,

Delete next files:

C:\WINDOWS\kl1.exe
C:\WINDOWS\uniq

Then run ATF Cleaner again.

Let me know in your next reply how things are running now.

#10 douggerbugger

douggerbugger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 01:01 PM

things seem to be running fine. performance was never really a problem. more of a security issue among other things. i also noticed that the services.exe file was still a running process. i am fairly sure this is not supposed to be there. also there are 5 instances of svchost running. before this infection i am fairly sure there were usually only 3 instances of it running the majority of the time. other than that issue i think the problem has been taken care of. is there anyway where else to look or see if there is anything else to be removed or lingering effects to detect.

#11 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 02:48 PM

services.exe and svchost.exe are default running processes and needed for your system. Yes, it is really normal you have more instances of svchost.exe running.
I asked you before to delete the C:\WINDOWS\inet20000 -folder. That's where the bad services.exe was present. The services.exe running is the one that is present in your C:\Windows\System32-folder and is needed! If you delete that one (you won't be able to delete it anyway), your system is screwed. :thumbsup:

I think we are ok here.

To keep this clean in the future, I would suggest the following things:

Install Spywareblaster
SpywareBlaster doesn`t scan and clean for so-called spyware, but prevents it from being installed in the first place. It blocks the popular spyware ActiveX controls, and also prevents the installation of any of them via a webpage.

* Avoid illegal sites, because that's where most malware is present.
* Don't click on links inside popups.
* Don't click on links in spam messages claiming to offer anti-spyware software; because most of these so called removers ARE spyware.
* Download free software only from sites you know and trust. Because a lot of free software can bundle other software, including spyware.

Let your antispywarescanner(s) scan frequently and don't forget to update before.

And I do suggest you perform an online virusscan once in a while. (Housecall and/or Bitdefender). Because what one virusscanner can't find another one maybe can.
Also make sure that your virusscanner, the one that is installed on your system is always up to date!

Make sure your windows has the latest updates: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

If you are having XP SP2, read here how to configure Security Features for Internet Explorer:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...xp/iesecxp.mspx

Also visit this Free Online Scanner for PC Health and Safety and Microsoft Security At Home for tips to Protect your Pc, Protect yourself and Protect your Family.

More info on how to prevent malware you can also find here (By Tony Klein)
and here: http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Prevent...nt_Re-infection

If you want to fight back the Malware Writers that have made your life a misery, please take a look here and read what you can do against it.

Happy surfing again! :flowers:

#12 douggerbugger

douggerbugger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 03:18 PM

thanks, you guys truly know your crap. hopefully i wont ever have to harass you guys again

#13 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 03:52 PM

Glad I could help. :thumbsup:

Since this issue appears resolved ... this Topic is closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending the moderating team
a PM with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users