Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3 wireless icons displayed under network connections?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 billybob43

billybob43

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:39 AM

I bought this used Gateway laptop for my wife. But, under network connections, there are 3 wireless icons displayed. The first one states 1394 Net Adapter, which I looked up and it means that I have a Firewire interface. But, there is also a second wireless icon that states, Intel® Pro/1000 PL Network connection. Then there is a third icon that states, Intel® Pro/ Wireless 3945 ABG Network connection. Then, in the notification bar, there is a yellow phone icon that when you click on it, it states that it's a Motorola SM56 Modem helper? I would just like to know if anyone knows why there is so many wireless icons under my Network connections and a yellow phone icon in my notification area? The only thing that I can think of, is that the person that had the laptop before me, had problems getting wireless, so they installed 3 wireless software, one at a time, but never bothered to remove any of the others?
But. if anyone else has an opinion on this situation, please by all means, let me know. If two or three of the other icons are not needed, then I will either delete or uninstall them all-together! P.S. I'm sorry, I would have attached a picture of these icons, but I couldn't get all 4 icons in the same picture. Thank you.

Edited by hamluis, 16 June 2012 - 08:14 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users