Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power supply issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mattyk

mattyk

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:05 PM

Hi guys I am having an issue with an older Compaq PC that I am trying to fix for my sister. She brought it to me and in transit I think she shook something loose or something to that effect. The machine will not power up at all and there is a steady flashing green light up by the power supply. After doing some research most suggested to check all connections to make sure they are seated correctly or the power supply could of went out. So while I was checking for a loose wire I unplugged the main power cord running from the power supply to the motherboard and once unplugged the light on the back went solid and the fan for the power supply kicked on and runs fine until I plug it back into the motherboard. So could someone please advise me on what this could mean or what I should check next. When the power is connected to the motherboard the other fans try to kick on and it makes a clicking sound but never turns on and just does that over and over. Please help!!!!!! Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum but it runs XP so I wasn't sure. Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 16 June 2012 - 08:09 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:10 AM

Exact model of Compaq, please?

Is the PSU the original that came with the system?

I've moved your topic to the Internal Hardware forum.

Louis

#3 mattyk

mattyk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:33 PM

Thanks for the reply and yes everything is original equipment and the vitals are listed below.
Model# SR5703WM
Prod# NC783AA#ABA
SN# 3CR849062K

Power supply
BESTEC
ATX-250-12Z Rev: D7R

If you need any more specifics please just let me know and thanks again for your help Louis!!!!!

Matt

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:03 AM

Hey Matt
these are instructions from HP for flashing green light http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph06788&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3875750&tmp_track_link=ot_search#bph06788_section_2

Your manuals are here http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3875750&

#5 mattyk

mattyk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:51 PM

Thank you so much for the info and it ended up being the power supply if you were curious of the issue. I just finished switching it out and it powered right up. Thanks again Louis!!!!!

Matt

#6 mattyk

mattyk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:52 PM

And Caperdog thanks to you also!!!

#7 hamluis

hamluis