Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Boot And No Video But Beeps

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Herman H

Herman H

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 01:26 PM

Hello, All. Our computer lost its video. HP's live chat said replace video/graphics card. It has an onboard card or chip but we put in a new card--didn't help. The bios beeping continued repeating long beeps, and each beep same length. We tried HP again and they said remove and replace RAM chip and try in both slots. Didn't fix it. We have the original 512 MB chip only. They said it sounds like a hardware problem and take it to a repair center. We've looked at beep codes but have not seen this one and don't know what bios this computer uses. We tried another working monitor from a pc and still got same result. Any ideas or do we just buy some new Ram and hope? Herman

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 02:08 PM

You can use EVEREST to find out what type of BIOS you have.
It will be under Motherboard / BIOS.

A couple of sites to check out the beep codes:
computerhope.com
sysopt.com
BIOS Central
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Herman H

Herman H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 04:16 PM

Thanks for the efforts, but I can't download anything on the computer because I have no video. No screen at all. I'm not even having luck with emailing a question to HP. I don't want to go back to their chat help thing, because it didn't do me any good. If the bios chip is under the mother board, I'm not inclined to remove the mother board. I do know it has an Athlon TM XP 3000 processor and it uses a A7V8X-LA mother board (Kelut). Now is there a simple way to find bios codes associated with this mother? And yes I know mother is only half a word. Herman

#4 Herman H

Herman H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:17 PM

It uses Phoenix bios per HP and no series matches. We pulled peripherals, replaced keyboard and even went back to HP chat. Ram chip is #1 on our list now before going to repair shop. If it's not Ram we can always use the extra when it gets going. Why can't these things be simpler like my refrigerator that "went" last week. My wife was running out to buy ice and look at a new refrigerator. This dummy decided to plug it in to another outlet and it works fine now. Boy was she disappointed we couldn't incur more debt with a new refrigerator when I called her on her cell phone and told her to come home. I'll fix the outlet any day.

#5 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:56 PM

Offhand I would say it is your video card. If you are able to see the bios flash screen when the computer is starting up it is not your monitor.
When the computer first starts up it uses basic video drivers carried on the board.

If the comp makes one beep and then the screen goes blank your video card is the next thing to load after windows does its hardware/memory check. So your video card is probably bad whether onboard or add in PCI card.

#6 Herman H

Herman H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2006 - 04:11 PM

Thanks, Dan. We tried a new video card and same thing---no video and the beeps. I've got some new ram coming. If that doesn't do it, then it's off to the shop. With a reasonable $ fix, we'll have a better graphics capability and 256MB more ram. This computer is really only a year old and it will be the second time to the shop. First time was the wireless setup when it wouldn't accept a linksys card. We got a Belkin and it worked fine. The guy in the repair shop couldn't understand a good Linksys card not working. Maybe my thirteen year old has screwed up something that he isn't aware of. He likes to make changes without knowing the impact. In the meantime, he gravitates to my G5 Imac and worries me. Herman

#7 Herman H

Herman H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 04:25 PM

Hello, all. I have to add this. Ordered the memory on Friday and got it today, Monday. Pulled old memory and popped in new. Didn't have monitor or keyboard plugged in. Computer started with no beeps. Plugged in monitor and hooked up to built in graphics card and it wouldn't come on. Moved cable to new video card. Started up and video is fine. This thing beeped from the get go with built in graphics chip or new video card.

Now, my question to you experts. HP specs call for a pc 2700 sdram 184 pin chip. I pulled a pc3200 chip which was originally installed, I think. I didn't put it in. Is this normal? It seemed to work fine for a year. Come to think about it, we did send the CPU back to HP because there were problems with it maybe last Feb. Herman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users