Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Invalid Shortcuts On Desktop Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jammymeb

jammymeb

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 01:05 PM

A few months ago I had a lot of working shortcuts on my desktop, which were to programs such as "MSN Messenger" or "Paint" or to folders such as "My Pictures". I then reinstalled windows, rendering these shortcuts invalid. I ignored them for a while, simply reinstalling programs and placing new shortcuts on the desktop (whyich work as normal). However, I now wish to delete them, but if I try to do so, or to rename them, move them, or in any other way change them, I get the "Cannot (delete) (paint): Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use" error message. I have searched this site and the rest of the internet, and have tried several solutions, none of which have worked.

I have full administrator rights on this computer.

I have tried deleting the shortcuts from the command prompt, but access is still denied.

I have tried starting windows in safe mode (and running the command prompt in safe mode) from the default windows administrator account, but access is still denied.

I have tried using free programs similar to ccleaner, but the invalid shortcut finder/deleter/start menu cleaner/similar functon of these programs simply does not recognise these as broken links, and so does not give me the option to fix or delete them.

The shortcuts are on my desktop, and are found in the folder:

"C:\Documents and Settings\James.JAMESROOM\Desktop"

Can somebody please advise me how to delete or fix these invalid shortcuts? Either removing them completely or changing them so they become valid shorcuts (I do have the programs they are shortcuts for installed on my computer) would be solutions to this problem.

Thanks,

James

Edited by jammymeb, 02 March 2006 - 01:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 02:13 PM

If you have the programs then I would try uninstalling and reinstalling or just installing as the case may be. That should clean up any problems.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 02:18 PM

One thing you can try to do is to create a new folder on your desktop or new "briefcase", drag the icons you no longer want into the folder and then try to delete the entire folder.

Even if you can't delete it, they will be out of view and concentrated in the one folder.

If Windows won't let you delete the new folder, open Windows Explorer and try to drag it off the desktop onto your C drive.

Edited by Enthusiast, 02 March 2006 - 02:19 PM.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 02:29 PM

Go into the folder C:\Documents and Settings\James.JAMESROOM\Desktop, right click on the shortcuts and select Properties.
Click the General tab, and make sure they are not set to Read Only.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 jammymeb

jammymeb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 03:12 PM

I've tried all suggestions and none seem to work. I uninstall and reinstall programs and the invalid shortcuts remain (valid shortcuts are created as well of course). I create a new folder but cannot move any of the shorcuts into it because access is denied.
I have found that they are set to read only, but I cannot change this because I do not have access to them. I get "An error occurred when applying attributes to the file "(file name here)". Access is denied", even though I have full administrative privileges
Another piece of information which may help somebody to find a solution perhaps is that when I run desktop cleanup wizard it does not recognise the invalid shortcuts

#6 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 03:32 PM

It sounds like you may have something corrupted in your registry otherwise at least one of these suggestions would have worked.

You can try searching through the registry for any reference to the problematic programs, but it is easier to try a registry cleaner. There are certain dangers here, but JV16 is a good, powerful and fairly safe tool. It also has a free 30 day trial, that actually works not just taunting you with what it would do if you paid.

Go to: www.jv16.org/

As always before mucking with registry it is a good idea to do a backup.

See here for how to back up and if need be do a restore for your registry

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 03 March 2006 - 08:50 AM

I suggest you try "Move On Boot". This is program that is free for personal use, and it will delete stubborn files before Windows starts up. It is available for download HERE.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#8 jammymeb

jammymeb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 02:02 PM

thanks to everyone that has tried to help so far. However, the problem persists.

I have instaled the jv16 program, and run registry cleaner. Although my regiustry was in need of cleaning, cleaning it did not help with the invalid shortcuts.

I have installed the move on boot program also, but if I tell it to delete a file on the next boot, it says it cannot because access is denied.

So it appears to me that the primary problem is giving myself access to these files so that they can be deleted. On "properties", the files do not show that they are hidden or read-only. Any ideas on how to give myself access to them anyone?

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:51 PM

See if you can take ownership of the files using an admin account.

#10 Kruncher

Kruncher

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:44 PM

I would try a scandisk as those files could be screwie (technical term) in the file system. Go into the properties of the hard drive and then the tools tab, checkdisk, and then select both options. reboot and hopefully you can delete them.

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:54 PM

How To Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#12 jammymeb

jammymeb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2006 - 12:37 PM

thank you tg1911. Taking ownership of the folder has made the shortcuts valid again... it apears that I must have somehow lost ownership of it while I was reinstalling windows and sorting out other problems. Thank you very much!

#13 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2006 - 01:58 PM

You're quite welcome, jammymeb.
Glad to be of help.
Good to hear, you were able to get your problem resolved. :thumbsup:
Thanks for replying back, to let us know you got it fixed, and what worked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users