Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't connect wi-fi with WPA on Vista

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DeLuk

DeLuk

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:18 PM

Greetings to the forum. :)

We recently set up a router (TP-LINK TL-WR841ND) here at home to be able to have wireless internet for a laptop we just bought, while keeping wired internet for the old desktop. This laptop runs Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 and the wireless connection has since worked fine on it, as so does the wired one on the XP SP3 desktop. Another laptop, also running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, has often used wireless internet here too, and there was never no trouble whatsoever connecting it either.

As my little cousin now brought her laptop here and tried also to connect wirelessly, however, things didn't work so well. :( Her laptop, unlike the other two which always connected ok, runs Windows Vista Home Premium SP2. I first thought that to be a curious coincidence, as the other day I had tried to connect another laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 too, and it then failed as well. I didn't take much care of that, then, though, as it was just a casual try anyway and I was on the run, so I just used the wired connection instead for the purpose on that occasion. But as now the failure repeated with cousin's laptop, and I wanted to try to make things hopefully work for her, as certainly it'll turn out useful other times, even eventually in networks other than this one here at home, so I digged a bit on the matter. And came to realize it wasn't all that much of a coincidence only, after all, that both Vista machines failed the wireless connection, as this appears to be one less than infrequent problem, from what I could read? <_<

So, after trying some of whatever I could find suggested around to eventually resolve the issue and getting no joy in the end, I'm left wondering on the next step.

The problem is, as described in the topic subject, that I can't get this Vista laptop (Asus X50SL) to connect to the internet if using wireless with WPA security on. It always just states "Unidentified Network: Local Access Only". If either disabling security or using WEP, however, connection is successful and (apparently, at least) stable. I'm thus keeping WEP on for now, of course, though, as I was saying, I would like to hopefully have it work on WPA too, as it may come in handy if/when eventually connecting the laptop to any other networks too.

So far I've tried the following "fix" suggestions, all ending up in no result at all:

- In the router settings, changed WPA encryption to TKIP instead of AES.
- In the laptop's Network and Sharing Center, in the referred wireless network properties, set it to "Connect even when the network isn't broadcasting its name (SSID)".
- In the network adapter properties, disabled TCP/IPv6.
- Disabled "TCP/IP auto-tuning level" as suggested here.
- Disabled "DHCP force broadcast flag" as described in this Microsoft KB article.
- Enabled "DHCP broadcast flag toggle" as also described in that same Microsoft KB article.

Note 1: Each of these "fixes", since not resolving the issue, I've reverted them back.

Note 2: Prior to have tried these "fixes", I had also already tried, even repeatedly, thought with no luck either, both "Diagnose and Repair" from within the Network and Sharing Center and resetting the IP stack as also suggested http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheNuclearOptionResettingTheCrapOutOfYourNetworkAdaptersInVista.aspx'>here, as so I had ran the Norton Removal Tool just in case, although I'm not sure whether this laptop ever had any Symantec product installed.

So, the next step I'd like to try is the obvious update of the network adapter driver. Yet, as said above, this is right where I'm left wondering on... (I reckon this should even perhaps have been the first step to have tried, yes, but then, as the laptop's owner is someone other than me :rolleyes: and updating drivers may sometimes deliver tricky results, so I thought I'd better "save it for last" as I didn't want to risk have things eventually going wrong right from the start...) The wireless network adapter in this laptop is Atheros AR5007EG. And, from what I could read, here and around, it seems to be a rather "problematic" one? <_< (At once I could only wonder about the adapter in that other Vista laptop which also failed connection. How much of a tough coincidence would it be for it to be the same!? Must check, soon as having a chance...)

My doubt then is: what update "via" to go for, first?

Do it via Device Manager, choosing "Update driver"? And, in this case, should I previously choose "Uninstall driver", to first uninstall the current version?

Do it via Windows Update? There's an update for the network adapter driver standing-by in there. Release date is January 2009 whereas the current version of the driver is 7.4.2.75 dated from 07-05-2008. Unfortunately, though, when clicking the "More info" link (http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20239301) in hope for further details or eventually a version number, no page ever gets loaded... <_<

Do it via the laptop manufacturer's website? I've checked the Asus support website, and there's two "Wireless Lan Driver and Application for Vista" available in there: Azurewave_GE740_AE750_NE770_GE780 WLAN Driver and Application, version 7.3.1.73, dated from 23-10-2007 (i.e. older! than the current version on the laptop) and AW-NE771 WLAN Driver and Application, version 7.6.0.96, dated from 26-06-2008.

Or choose alternative websites which eventually provide more up-to-date versions of the driver? This, I say, as the Atheros website seems to be of no help at all for the purpose, as I've e-mailed them for support hoping that they might provide the latest version of the driver, yet they referred me to the laptop manufacturer's website. So I wonder whether to try the unofficial atheros.cz, which seems to be the most popular suggestion?... I read, in other threads in here, and in other forums, that the download from there worked for some, yet I wonder which version people refer to, as this detail is never specified, and atheros.cz actually provides several versions?... I'm however assuming it should be the most recent one available in there, 7.7.0.498 dated from 30-04-2010, right?... It has also been referred a version from September 2010, from the HP support website, but atheros.cz doesn't provide any as recent, so I don't know, if there's any other "source website" I could try?... If I remember it right, think I also read somewhere about a version 7.9.x.x working too, for some?...

I truly, truly appreciate any additional guidance, for better deciding on this next step to take...

And thank you kindly, in advance, for the time and patience. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:13 PM

Here is a link to the most current version of that driver I could find.
http://www.pcpitstop.com/drivers/download/Atheros~AR5007EG~Wireless~Network~Adapter.html

If that does not work then get me the log below from the machine in question.

Please download MINITOOLBOX and run it. Right Click and run as Admin.

Checkmark following boxes:

Report IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size
List Devices (problems only)

Click Go and post the result.

Edited by InadequateInfirmity, 15 June 2012 - 05:14 PM.

#3 LowTech2013

LowTech2013

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:09 PM

DeLuk,

I'm having the same problem: when I enable WPA or WP2 the TP-Link signal appears "local access only" to the notebooks in my home.

Did you find a solution?

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:13 AM

Some threads points to certain Norton or ESET antivirus. Might wanna check that on your end.

Tekken

#5 DeLuk

DeLuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:38 PM

Some threads points to certain Norton or ESET antivirus. Might wanna check that on your end.

@ jhayz: Not really sure whether your post was meant to me or LowTech2013?...

Yes, I did read around that the cause for this problem may also be eventual conflicts with certain Norton antivirus, or also McAfee. (ESET, too?) Which is why I did actually run the Norton Removal Tool in that laptop, just in case, as mentioned in my initial post. By then I just hadn't run McAfee's too, though, as there was SiteAdvisor installed, and I was doubtful as to whether that installation might be affected from running the removal tool. But I've ran that one now, too, anyway. (Just uninstalled SiteAdvisor beforehand, and will reinstall afterwards; no trouble.) It made no difference either, however. (But so, I wonder, should I then eventually try running ESET's removal tool too? Hmm, not too sure I liked the sound of what reads in that screenshot posted in ESET's support website: "Warning! This tool uninstalls AV products in non-standard way. Your PC can be harmed seriously"... :unsure:)

-----

DeLuk,

I'm having the same problem: when I enable WPA or WP2 the TP-Link signal appears "local access only" to the notebooks in my home.

Did you find a solution?

@ LowTech2013: As I was saying in my initial post, of the suggested fixes I've tried so far, none worked, and the one to follow next will be updating the driver of the wireless network adapter. Haven't yet had the chance to try that, though, so I can't yet say whether I found my solution or not. But if you're experiencing the same kind of problem, then, in my own humble "condition" of just an inexperienced computer user in seek for help too, the best I can suggest is that you read through my first post, as eventually some of the links collected in there (especially this one, as it lists various alternatives) may point you to some helpful hints on what you may try too, to resolve your issue. Or if none of that helps either, then you may wanna create a new topic, to describe your own specific issue, so that expert users may better assist you. (There are many variables to consider and which may lead to different solutions, depending on the specific router you're connecting to, the specific operating system in the notebooks, the specific wireless network adapters installed in each of them, etc, so, the right answer to one case may not necessarily be the same to the other...) Either way, I wish you the best luck, in solving your problem too. :)

-----

Here is a link to the most current version of that driver I could find.
http://www.pcpitstop.com/drivers/download/Atheros~AR5007EG~Wireless~Network~Adapter.html

If that does not work then get me the log below from the machine in question.

@ InadequateInfirmity: Thank you for the link to that additional driver download.

I had actually been to PC Pitstop too, before. But I was uncertain whether to risk take that one for source?... Everywhere, everyone seems to always refer to versions 7.x of the driver, and both ones available in there are 9.x, so I don't know?... (Version 7.7.0.498, though, which is referred there too, although not available to download, does actually date from April 2010, a detail that does match with that from atheros.cz, so I'd take that as a favourable sign of reliability?... Or?... Would you/anyone by chance have any experience at all with this PC Pitstop website as a source for drivers?...) Should I perhaps rather stick with and try first the 7.x version available from atheros.cz?... :unsure:

But either way, with regards to my "main doubt" about the driver update itself, so, you do suggest that I "discard" the update via Device Manager or Windows Update, or even the download available from the Asus support website, and do first try it with a more recent download from any alternative website which provides it, yes then? (Just to make double sure before actually going ahead with it... :blush:)

-----

Thank you greatly, again, for the kind assistance. :)

Edited by DeLuk, 19 June 2012 - 01:05 PM.

#6 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:49 PM

Sorry for the short response I had a long day at work but I have used pc pitstop many times for driver updates without any issues. :)

#7 DeLuk

DeLuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:07 PM

Thanks once more, InadequateInfirmity, for the quick reply, and roger that, I shall try it out with the PC Pitstop download then, soon as the laptop is back here again, thank you for the feedback on the website. :) I'll return with the result, or, if things don't work out, the log you requested...

Thanks one time again. :)

#8 DeLuk

DeLuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:03 PM

Alright, good news! I've now tried the network adapter driver update (version 9.2.0.480 available from PC Pitstop) and it worked just perfect. :thumbup2: Wireless with WPA2-PSK is now rock 'n rollin' on that Vista laptop too. :thumbup2: Sweet.

And as having found my solution, I can only hope LowTech2013 will too work his way to resolving his issue, if not already. Good luck again, mate. :)

And again as well, thank you kindly, InadequateInfirmity and jhayz, for the valuable help! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users