Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server Error when trying to boot. HP PROLIANT DL360 G6.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kevin.holmes

kevin.holmes

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:12 PM

Every time I try to boot my Windows Server running Microsoft Server 2008 R2 x64 I receive the following error after boot during POST. "1716-Slot 0 Drive Array - Unrecoverable Media Errors Detected on Drives during previous Rebuild or Background Surface Analysis (ARM) scan. Errors will be fixed automatically when the sectors are overwritten. Backup and Restore Recommended."

After POST continues the boot process, the Windows loading bar will appear and make 2 passes, the screen will then go black and a blue screen will appear with the error "BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO". The picture of the blue screen is attached to this post, the image of the POST error was too large to upload.

This server is a company server used to host exchange e-mail for approx 15 clients and have had no problems relating to this issue in the past, although there were issues in the past with this server. For the past issues, unfortunately I have no information available.

Some steps I took so far are:

-Attempting to boot in Safe Mode and LKG (Last Known Good Configuration) mode.
-Attempting to boot off of HP Smart Start CD to update firmware and run start up diagnostics to see if the issue is hardware or software related
-Ran hardware diagnostics, everything passed including the 3 HDD's installed
-Call HP for warranty, they suggest reformatting server which is impossible, as crucial company data and information will be lost
-Re seat RAID card and change RAM.
-Check to see if data is visible in cmd in startup repair options
-Ran sfc /scannow and chkdsk /f. Also ran multiple other hardware related commands with no success (fixboot, fixmbr, etc)

Am really starting to think this is a hardware related issue, associated with the RAID card, as the error with the hardware is causing the software error (blue screen). HP was insisting it was a software error which I had 3 other engineers confirm it is not true. We have all been attempting to fix this issue for hours now and have done extensive work to this server with no success.

Am working on this server now as I speak and it is crucial I get it back to the client as soon as possible. PLEASE HELP

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:01 PM

Are the 3 drives in a RAID 5 array?

#3 kevin.holmes

kevin.holmes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:36 AM

Yes they are.

#4 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:47 PM

It definitely sounds like an issue with the RAID controller. Have you look at the controller config? What is it showing for the state of the drives/array? I would assume it believe 2 of the drives have failed. If it's only showing one of the drives as failed, you might get lucky and be able to replace that drive and start the rebuild process on the array.

#5 kevin.holmes

kevin.holmes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

Thank you so much for your help. Luckily the server had onsite support from HP and they called back. The engineer showed up to my office today and ran a separate diagnostic utility then that of the smart start CD. Drive 2 and 3 appeared to have errors and were unrecoverable (drive failure). The server had parts warranty also and he brought 3 new drives with him. Unfortunately the data is lost, but we can add all the users back manually. Thank you for all of your help and responses. Hopefully this helps someone in the future with the same issue.

#6 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

Glad they were able to get it fixed. It's too bad data was lost. Depending on how critical the data is, there is a chance a data recovery company may be able to retrieve it. I know some of them will see if they think the can recover, then tell you a price (no charge for them to look at it).

You might also want to think about placing 1 or 2 more drives in the server (assuming it has slot for it) and settings those drives as spares. That way if the RAID controller detects errors on a drive, then it will automatically start using one of the spares. Just some thoughts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users