Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Live Mail

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Vosie

Vosie

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:59 PM

Hello, I use Windows 7 and when I open Windows Live Mail 2011, a popup window asks me to sign into Windows Live Mail under an account that no longer exists. I removed it Windows Live Mail. Does anyone know how to get it to stop asking me to sign into an account that was apparently partially removed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:07 PM

I'm a little confused by two statements you have. First part is: "when I open Windows Live Mail 2011, a popup window asks me to sign into Windows Live Mail under an account that no longer exists."

Then in the next sentence you say "I removed it Windows Live Mail."

My confusion is, how are you opening a mail client you say you have removed?

Can you please be a little more specific with your phrases and application names.

Also what steps exactly did you follow to remove this account to begin with.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Vosie

Vosie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:29 PM

I'm a little confused by two statements you have. First part is: "when I open Windows Live Mail 2011, a popup window asks me to sign into Windows Live Mail under an account that no longer exists."

Then in the next sentence you say "I removed it Windows Live Mail."

My confusion is, how are you opening a mail client you say you have removed?

Can you please be a little more specific with your phrases and application names.

Also what steps exactly did you follow to remove this account to begin with.

Sorry, let me try again.

When I open Windows Live Mail 2011, a popup appears asking that I sign in to a specific Windows Live Mail account. We’ll call it John@mail.com. The problem is that there is no John@mail.com email address. It no longer exists with the provider, and I thought I had removed it from the list of Windows Live Mail accounts, but it’s asking me to sign in, so there has to be something prompting it.

Edited by Vosie, 15 June 2012 - 01:30 PM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

Sorry, let me try again.

When I open Windows Live Mail 2011, a popup appears asking that I sign in to a specific Windows Live Mail account. Well call it John@mail.com. The problem is that there is no John@mail.com email address. It no longer exists with the provider, and I thought I had removed it from the list of Windows Live Mail accounts, but its asking me to sign in, so there has to be something prompting it.

Have you checked your accounts in WLM to see if it is still listed there?

#5 Vosie

Vosie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

Sorry, let me try again.

When I open Windows Live Mail 2011, a popup appears asking that I sign in to a specific Windows Live Mail account. Well call it John@mail.com. The problem is that there is no John@mail.com email address. It no longer exists with the provider, and I thought I had removed it from the list of Windows Live Mail accounts, but its asking me to sign in, so there has to be something prompting it.

Yes, that's what's thrown me off. It is not listed in Options > E-Mail Accounts, yet it still wants to me to sign in when I open Windows Live Mail, so I assume it's a partial remove with something lingering about to trigger the popup window.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:25 PM

It appears that the account is still listed in Windows Live Mail. Thats why you're being prompted to log in.

To verify that it not listed please do the following:
  • To delete an email account from Windows Live Mail, Windows Mail or Outlook Express:
  • Select Tools | Accounts... from the menu.
  • In Windows Live Mail, hold down the Alt key if you cannot see the menu bar.
  • In Outlook Express and Windows Mail, go to the Mail tab.
  • Highlight the account you want to delete.
  • Click Remove.
  • Click Yes.
  • Now click Close.

The above information from How to Remove an Email Account from Windows Live Mail or Outlook Express

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#7 Vosie

Vosie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:27 PM

Sorry, let me try again.

Yes, that's what's thrown me off. It is not listed in Options > E-Mail Accounts, yet it still wants to me to sign in when I open Windows Live Mail, so I assume it's a partial remove with something lingering about to trigger the popup window.

The only one listed was the one I wanted to keep. It's a imap one, so I removed it. It now says that I have no accounts set up. Yet I'm still being prompted to sign in to the one I wanted to get rid of.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:33 PM

You could uninstall/reinstall. That might resolve the issue for you.

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:35 PM

I don't have Windows 7, but is there a 'repair' option in Add/Remove programs? You may want to try that before completely uninstalling and reinstalling.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:25 PM

Animal, there is a repair option for WLM. I agree that should be tried first.

#11 Nimblewill

Nimblewill

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

That sign in window you are seeing also connects with Messenger, Skydrive and other MS stuff.

I found that if you go ahead and sign into your JohnDoe@live.com or Yourname@hotmail.com mail account, then go to the dropdown menu in the top left corner and select OPTIONS > MAIL then click on the CONNECTION tab. You will see a button > STOP SIGNING IN. This worked for me.

I gave up on Windows Live Mail a couple of years ago. Pictures in forwarded emails were always missing and after all the updates to the program, the problem is still there!

Give Thunderbird a try, it just works!

#12 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:24 AM

agree with nimblewill ,almost .it looks like its just because of the name being saved by the browser ,,in IE go to tools and Delete browsing history make sure the cookie one is checked .
don't agree with problems with live mail though,i use it for a few yrs now ,with 4 email accts ,2 ISP provide email addies and 2 hot mail acct and no one ever complained of no content or pictures in mail they received

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users