Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavillion Slimline - Power Supply?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LisaKP

LisaKP

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:25 AM

I am trying to get a new power supply for my HP S3842UK Slimline PC. I have been unable to get the part number from HP directly and wondered if anyone could help. It doesn't have to be a HP part, a generic one would suffice. Can anyone point me in the direction of a new power supply unit?

Many thanks,

Lisa

Edited by hamluis, 16 June 2012 - 12:24 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:57 PM

Hi, is that the real long skinny one? The old one should have a part number on it.

The used ones I have laying around all have a HP part number on the white label. I had two different slimlines here and the power supplies were different.

Once you locate the power supply part number my guess is any replacement will have to be from HP or maybe EBay / amazon. There are no generics with that form factor. Not to mention that if they are like the older models I have here the power plug is much smaller than a regular ATX power supply uses.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:50 PM

I know on many of the Dell slims, 1U power supplies have the same measurements. I think about D.200 x W.100 x H.40 mm.

Not sure on HP slims as I have not worked on one yet for a PSU problem.

Only problems I ran into is sometimes the OEM PSUs have certain mounting brackets ets particular to that case/PSU. I usually had to do some minor bracket fabrication to get a proper fit.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:06 PM

I believe this is the one you want.

Edited by killerx525, 15 June 2012 - 05:07 PM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:10 PM

Hi

Good locate on that power supply. If they are in the US that should maybe do it.

I forgot to Ask LisaKP where they are located, US, UK

Cheers
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 LisaKP

LisaKP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:54 AM

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. In answer to Roger's question, I am in the UK. Having looked at the link posted by killerx525, they do ship to England, so that might be just the ticket :-)

I have one question - is it easy enough to replace? I have upgraded hard drives and memory before. Is there anything to watch out for when replacing a power supply?

Thanks,

Lisa

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:22 PM

<<Is there anything to watch out for when replacing a power supply?>>

:hysterical: , as long as you disconnect all the cables, including the cable leading to the power outlet/power strip...you will be around to post:).

System Specs

Manuals , you amy want to refer to the Upgrading/Servicing Guide sometime.

Louis

#8 LisaKP

LisaKP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

You may mock, Louis but unfortunately either I have screwed up fitting the PSU or that wasn't the problem after all.

The new PSU arrived yesterday. Having opened up the computer, I managed to extract the old one. It was only attached by three leads. One 24 pin plug that goes into the motherboard, and two power leads that were plugged into the hard drive and Bluray/dvd player. These were the only three leads that were plugged into the old PSU. I took out the old unit and inserted the new one, fitting the three leads and the computer will not turn on. When I press the power button, nothing at all happens.

I have downloaded generic instructions for the fitting of a PSU from the internet and they talk about a white fourpin plug that also seems to go to the motherboard. There is one of these leads on the new PSU, together with some other leads which I do not seem to have use for. Is it imperative that I use the leads with white ends? If this 4 pin plug is supposed to go to the motherboard, can anyone please give me some guidance as to where it is supposed to plug as I can not locate anywhere that it might go?

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:21 PM

Those other leads are for other models. They are there because it needs to work in more than one model and some may need them.

If you removed three leads then that is all that were needed.

At this time one question. Did you switch the power supply to use the UK mains voltage? There may be a little, usually red, slide switch marked 120/240

Having bought from a USA vendor the power supply may be set to the USA mains voltage of 120Volts rather than the UK mains voltage of 240Volts.

I hope that is all it is and that no other parts are knackered.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 06 July 2012 - 03:23 PM.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users