Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE8 will not open new window

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 krazykat

krazykat

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:16 AM

NOTE: This post is NOT a duplicate of my earlier post. I thought the problem had dissapeared. Now the same problem is back, so I am re-posting asking for additional troubleshooting tips.

Thanks

I have a problem with IE8. My system is Windows XP PRO SP3. My current version of IE8 is: IE8.0.6001.19702.XPSP3_gdr.120411-1615

Problem: IE8 open OK and can access new web sites in the CURRENT, opening window.
When I pull down FILE and select New Window OR select CTRL-N OR CTRL –T a new windows tries to start, but IE “hangs” and never finishes opening the new window. The task bar at the bottom on the screen shows the new window and the first opening window. I can right click on the new window icon in the bottom task bar, then click on CLOSE. Some times the new window closes, sometimes not. Also right click on the opening window and select CLOSE – Sometimes the new window closes, sometimes the opening window closes along with IE8 closure.

What I have done:

Preformed the disk check and fix at boot time- problem still present.

1. Started IE8 with run : iexplore –extoff I have no problem starting a new window. Any of the three ways; down FILE and select New Window OR select CTRL-N OR CTRL –T. produces a new window. I can open as many new windows as needed.

Important for item #2 below. While in the mode, I went to Tools, Manage Add on’s and disabled all addon’s.

2. Started IE8 normally from desk top icon, with all add on’s disabled. See item #1 above. Same problem, could not open a new window.

3. Completely removed IE8 , with ADD/REMOVE programs. Then down loaded and installed a fresh copy of IE8. Same problem, still unable to open a new window with the new copy of IE8 with no add on’s installed.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:08 AM

Can you try using latest Firefox if the problem also arises with the same new window function?

Tekken

#3 krazykat

krazykat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:57 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I tried going to a new windoe/tab with FireFox. No problem, could go to a new window using ALT-N or the drop down menu. FireFox is not affected by issue with IE8.

I also gave IE8 another try and the problem remains.

krazykat

#4 krazykat

krazykat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:37 AM

Hello,

Posted my reply that Firefox does NOT have same problem.

Any suggestions on what to try next to solve the IE8 problem?

Thanks

#5 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:10 PM

Just to be sure, on Step 2, did you go in to Manage Add-ons to verify that all of them are actually disabled(be sure that in the "Show" box, All add-ons is selected)?

#6 krazykat

krazykat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:27 AM

Outkast,

Here are the confirmation results and additional checks.
1 Start IE8 from desktop icon;
Go to TOOLS, Manage Add-ons
Select ADD-on currently loaded in IE ---- DISABLE ALL
Select Add-ons that have been used by IE ---- DISABLE ALL
2 Close IE, re-start, Go to TOOLS , Manage ADD-ON's and verify all show DISABLE
3. Pull down FILE, New Window. IE "hangs" on opening new window, new window is partially displayed
4 Click on "X" to close partially open window. After 10-15 seconds IE returns to opening screen
5 Do a CTRL-N. Same results, partially displayed new window, IE "hangs", use "X" to close partially opwn window and return to IE opening screen.
6 Close IE
7 AS a check;open IE with RUN: iexplore ---extoff. IE opens with warning that all ADD-ON's are DISABLED (verified by going to TOOLS, Manage ADD-ON's)
8 Using FIle, New Window or CTRL-N opens and displays a functional New Window. Can open as many New Windows as required.

Suggestions?

Thanks

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:17 AM

Did you try going to the tools menu in IE8, then the advanced tab, Restore advanced settings and Reset buttons.

There are two levels of reset, one removes all personal settings. and the other less so.

Sometimes the reset help when all else fails.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 krazykat

krazykat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:51 PM

rotor123,

Thanks for the reply,I assume the path you are desccribing is IE8 TOOLS, Internet Options, Advanced Tab, and the "Restore advanced settings" and "Reset Internet Explorer settings" located at hte bottom of the Advanced tab? Could not find an advanced tab in the Manage Add-on drop down.

Also, which action is associated with "removes all personal settings"?

Thanks for the tip, will give it a try. A confirmation of the above would be appreciated.

Thanks

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:03 PM

It isn't in the manage add ons tab. The advanced tab is on the far right when you go to internet options under tools.

I believe that you will find the reset puts IE back to as if it were a new install in terms of settings. Any customizations are gone including home page, temp files, cookies, search provider and so on. That is why it sometimes works.

Of course that means you will need to enter user names and passwords for websites even if they were saved before.

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:59 AM

Try going Here

Tekken

#11 krazykat

krazykat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:36 PM

Rotor123,

Tried both of tne reset. Did not solve the problem.

jhayz,

Went to the link you posted. Contains a lot of suggestions. I tried the registry edit/replacement -- did not work (all though I think it was ment for WIN7 and I have XP). Also tried the CMD to use the regsvr32 --did not work. There are several other suggestion that I will try.

Right now, still do not have a solution.

Thanks all

#12 krazykat

krazykat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

NEW Development.

My last post was made after I had made the changes mentioned. I went to shut down the laptop. The desktop was present but totally non responsive to the mouse or keyboard. I could not select START, shutdown nor was CTRL,ALT, DELETE responsive. I had to use the POWER button to turn OFF.

POWERED ON, but same problem. Booted to desktop display, but mouse, nor keyboard was recognised.

POWERED DOWN, then UP and used F8 key to boot to Last known good configuration. Same results, no response to mouse or keyboard.

POWERED DOWN, then UP and used F8 key to boot to SAFE mode, with Internet. Safe mode booted OK, Mouse and keyboard active, could access internet using IE8. Amazingly, IE8 was fully functioal; Ctrl-N produced fully functional new windows!.

Would appreciate suggestions on next troubleshooting steps; or should I make a NEW post?

Thank you

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:50 AM

What I would suggest next is to go here to the: Am I infected? What do I do? Forum. If you get an all clear and still have a problem then come back here for further help.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum103.html

Forum Rules
When posting your problem, do not run and post a ComboFix log. ComboFix is a tool that should only be run under the supervision of someone who has been trained in its use. Using it on your own can cause problems with your computer. Any posts containing CF Logs will be ignored.

To receive help, you should instead provide a detailed description of your problem, detailed word-for-word error messages that you are receiving, screenshots of strange behaviour, and your operating system. This information is much more useful to our helpers than a ComboFix log.

If you have not received help after three days, please post a link to your topic http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic400074.html

Include a link to this topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic457080.html

I am going to close this post to prevent confusion between two posts. Once you get an all clear if you need this post reopened just PM me and I can do that.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 05 July 2012 - 11:53 AM.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users