Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible to install XP w/out Networking Stuff?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MexicanCutie

MexicanCutie

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:42 AM

Ok, I know this may be a really stupid question but I've looked and looked and haven't been able to find any kind of answer, so here goes...
Is it possible to install Windows XP, Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2 without all the networking stuff? What I mean is I don't need any remote connections or internet connection sharing or file sharing or pipe-lining capabilities and I don't do online-chats or peer-to-peer connections (as far as I know)or any other kind of needs associated with networking. I don't use a router, my connection is through my cable company. The cable is plugged into a little box and then I use an ethernet cable from the box to the back of my computer. I'm using Windows XP SP3 slipstreamed but I still have the original XPSP2 CD that came with the computer. The reason I ask is it seems over the years I've been having a lot of problems with others remotely connecting to my computer and changing settings. I seem to have constant problems with things I don't seem to need. This is where I get confused. I don't need the networking service as I'm not networking but without it I can't view my internet connection status. I don't need internet connection sharing but I do need the firewall service which are grouped together. That is just a few examples of what I'm talking about.

I don't know how to troubleshoot these issues because I don't know what a lot of the networking services or stuff does. I don't have any need for Net Framework but I can't install certain software without it. I'm sure my question covers a lot of ground and I'm not expecting anyone to explain everything to me. I don't know maybe this question is completely absurd and to vague to give any kind of advice. I guess I'm just really frustrated and would appreciate a push in the right direction to research how all this stuff works. I'm not afraid of doing the work, I just don't know where to start looking. I feel like David and the Internet/Network is Goliath with his whole family in tow. I'm using a Dell Deminsion 4550, running windows xp sp3. Thank you in advance for your help and if this is in the wrong place (that wouldn't surprise me, I'm so confused) would you again, please point me in the right direction. I'm sorry for my naivety and sorry if I wasted anyone's time.

Edit: Moved topic from Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:31 PM

I cannot answer your questions because that is outside my area of expertise.

What I will comment on is your statement

I'm sorry for my naivety and sorry if I wasted anyone's time.

There is no need for you to be sorry about anything. Not knowing something does not mean a person is naive or dumb or stupid.
No one will think you are naive. All of us were new to computers at one time and had to learn. All of us are still learning new things on a daily basis. You've tried to find the answers on your own and when you could not you the best thing-you asked questions. You will not waste anyone's time if you are receptive to the answers. I do hope someone will be along soon to help you in your quest to learn.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:48 PM

Without networking capability...you cannot connect to the Internet.

A network is nothing more than a connection between different computers. You must connect with other computers used by websites and your ISP...via your ISP...in order to have Internet access.

As for your perceived problems due to network capability...I would suspect that you have such because you are missing a large number of Windows updates which help provide security for the system. SP2 has been superseded by SP3 (which reflects over 100 critical security updates) and that, in turn, has been supplemented by well over 100 additional critical security updates for Windows XP. Running a system without these critcal updates...invites malware and is just absolutely poor security from those see fit to be a nuisance to users of the Internet.

If you are currently running Windows XP with SP3 installed, then you still need all critical security updates which have been issued since SP3 was first released.

As for system security...the answer to good security is good security practices by users, not trying to do the impossible :).

Just as a general read...you might look over Answers to common security questions, Qman - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic407147.html .

We also have various forums that deal with malware, system security, etc. You may want to visit one of those for ideas on how to avoid what you describe as past problems.

How to Protect Your Computer from Spyware and Adware - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/expert/honeycutt_spyware.mspx

Basically...no one can gain remote access or any other type of access to your system...if the correct practices and settings are incorporated in the care of the system.

AV, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users