Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Secure A Wireless Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 11:59 AM

Hey all.

I have a Windows XP machine with SP1. Do not want to upgrade to SP2 on this laptop. Is there a way I can secure the wireless connection for this machine at home?

Thanks!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:18 PM

Are you refering to a wireless connection via router or via satalite?

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:36 PM

There is one desktop that has cable internet connection. Actually, the cable goes to a modem, then a wireless router, and then there is a CAT5 line to the desktop. Then in another part of the house there is another desktop with it's own antenae. Currently there is WEP encryption enabled. Now there is a new laptop that my wife uses for work, and they do not want SP2 installed. But this laptop cannot log into the network as it cannot handle the encryption.

I don't have too much problem with just deleting the encryption, as WEP doesn't do a whole lot anyway, but I would rather keep it (don't trust the neighbor), and find a way to get this laptop the internet wirelessly and encrypted.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#4 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:57 PM

Im not too sure if this will work but my research brought me upon this:

Wireless Network Ignition

The reviews tell me that users have used it to configure their networks.

I know that I previously had WEP encryption with SP1 but it was with a program that Belkin had provided.

Edited by WlkingMan, 02 March 2006 - 12:57 PM.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#5 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 07:36 PM

why dont you want to upgrade to service pack 2? service pack 3 is now ready to be released.u are making yourself more suceptable to worms and privacy comprimises, you should know that beiung a hjt trainee.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#6 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 01:10 AM

Get on your hands and knees in front of your wife's boss. I do not understand why they would not want to get SP2 it does nothing wrong. Unless she logs into a network at work and they are two lazy to reconfigure a few computers...

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2006 - 07:16 AM

why dont you want to upgrade to service pack 2? service pack 3 is now ready to be released.u are making yourself more suceptable to worms and privacy comprimises, you should know that beiung a hjt trainee.

Of course I know what SP2 does and doesn't do. And I know why some companies don't want it.

It is not uncommon for businesses NOT to upgrade to SP2. SP2 will interfere with their custom software that they have pumped truckloads of money into. So, they don't want SP2, yet. There is talk now that they will update to SP2 in a couple more months as they are working the bugs out of a new revised version of their software.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#8 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2006 - 07:18 AM

Unless she logs into a network at work and they are two lazy to reconfigure a few computers...

Yes, she logs into a network. And there is a little more than a 'few computers' as we are talking about over 1000 lawyers, nationwide, with multiple computers each, and all their support staff.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#9 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:37 AM

Hi hi never mind...

#10 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2006 - 06:36 AM

albert>my bad, i speed read the posts, i missed the part where you said about it being for work and they did not want sp2 on it. i apologise as i may have sounded a bit off. i work too late. unfortunately i (i am tech btw) have solved a lot of issues regarding 802.11x issues with installing SP2, the networking pack within clears up a lot of issues. yes, i have seen some companies as well not able to update because of lack of software updates. (and likely pay a fortune in software support) sometimes the wireless card's utility helps, sometimes you need to patch uip the old OS that is riddled with issues. again , i shall read all posts before i reply in future! sry.
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users