Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spell check appears by itself and won't go away

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AndrewOS

AndrewOS

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:32 AM

Hi
Running Windows 7 Professional with MS Office 2010 and IE9 (& Firefox).

Problem
For a few weeks now I've been getting several persistent problems:
1) Spell check dialogue box appears by itself. When I click OK or cancel or the X to close it simply reappears ... and on and on. The only way I've found to get out of this loop is to bring up the task manager. There's nothing to stop, but the act of bring up the task manager appears to stop the problem. When I close the task manager, the spell check box is still there but I can then click on OK or X and it finally disappears. This seems to happen more often in excel than in word - ands perhaps also in connection with having presssed the Ctrl key.
2) Also unprompted, and perhaps again in connnection with having pressed the Ctrl key, I get the folder directory popping up in the bottom right of the screen from the taskbar. And again it stays there. I do have as a shortcut this particular directory there - but I've not clicked on it deliberately to bring it up .. it just pops up and stays there.
3) in IE9, I'm more recently getting rapidly flickering icons / menu bars .. again it seems often in connection with the Ctrl key
4) in IE9, the cursor seems to jump position .. so for example when I think I'm about to add something into a search (e.g. in wedmail or in google),and start tapping keys, I suddendly find that it's jumped to the IE address bar .. and then the page shifts and a new page appears from a different site

Of course, the Ctrl key explanation is just my perception - there may be other keys/key strokes that create the problem too .. it's just that I'm aware in retrospect that I might have had reason to press the Ctrl key (e.g. as part of a shortcut).

Actions taken
I've run AV (unfortunately through owrk it's McAfee) and antimalwarebytes and Superantispyware and beyond cookies nothing comes up - apparently no infections.
I've run Office detect and repair - and it has not resolved the problems

Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AndrewOS

AndrewOS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:12 AM

I've just had it happen again: in excel. In this case nothing to do with Ctrl key .. simply trying to make an entry into a cell.

#3 AndrewOS

AndrewOS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:06 AM

the spell check problem seems to have disappeared (for now); to be replaced by two different keyboard/keystroke issues.

1) when I'm typing some arbitary keys do not appear in the resultant text (in webmail, in Word)
2) when I start to enter text I sometimes not get or ``` appearing either before or after or both before & after the first letter I'm trying to enter. Sometimes the ```` goes on and on ```````````. There is nothing wresting on the keyboard, and no keys are stuck. This happens in webmail and more often in excel.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:52 AM

I doubt it is a malware but a systen issue,, Do this and if it doesn't repair it post in WIN7.

System File Checker
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users