Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome Extension Permissions

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:53 PM

Should I be concerned about the permissions that extensions need in google chrome.

Adblock Plus (Beta)
Your data on all websites
Your tabs and browsing activity

Tab Position Customizer

Xmarks Bookmark Sync
Your bookmarks

FlashBlock

FlashControl

I understand that adblock plus will need access to my web pages to block content and Xmarks needs access to my bookmarks to sync them but I am a little concerned by google's definition of what each extension can do with this access.

• Your data on all websites
    This item can read every page that you visit -- your bank, your web email, your Facebook page, and so on. Often, this kind of item needs to see all pages so that it can perform a limited task such as looking for RSS feeds that you might want to subscribe to.
    Caution: Besides seeing all your pages, this item could use your credentials (cookies) to request or modify your data from websites.
  • Your data on {list of websites}
    This item can read the pages that you visit on the specified websites.
    Caution: Besides seeing all your pages, this item could use your credentials (cookies) to request or modify your data from websites.
  • Your tabs and browsing activity
    This item can see the addresses and titles of websites that you visit in tabs and windows. This warning might be a by-product of an item needing to open new tabs or windows.

Is it the same situation with Firefox. I haven't found any info in firefox extensions regarding the access level you give extension. My main concern was where it says:

• This item can read every page that you visit -- your bank, your web email, your Facebook page, and so on.
  • Caution: Besides seeing all your pages, this item could use your credentials (cookies) to request or modify your data from websites.

Should I just switch to firefox outright or is it going to be the same. I'd imagine it's not too hard for a malicious extension my make it's way to the chrome web store.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users