Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

uninstalling windows vista and installing win xp

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bambavt

bambavt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:51 PM

Hi Everybody:

I have a 4 year old HP Pavillon PC with Vista OS. I got the infamous blue dump screen so I took it to a repair person. She took vista off and installed Windows XP. NOt sure why she did that but anyway, I get the computer home and I can't connect to the internet. I figured out that problem, but now I got the WIndows INstant Scanner virus. I tried to uninstall it. I went into safe mode and followed directions that I found online to uninstall the virus. While I was trying to install Mawlbytes, the computer screen froze and I couldn't cut it off so I had to manual cut it off by pulling the plug. When I rebooted, i got a black screen with a bunch of different characters on it, some blinking some stationary, words, etc. it was wild. I tried to go back into safe mode, but I couldn't I rebooted and I still get the same screen. Any idea what this is or how I can fix it. I have the orginal vista discs so I am wondering if I can put VISTA back on, but I can't get to any screen that will allow me to do anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,563 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

Take the system back...have that person do things properly and reinstall the correct O/S.

Anything less than that...is an act that you implicitly agree with/approve the actions taken.

Louis

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

I concur with Louis on the take it back. They did you no favor.

I did have one question. Does the screen look OK before it starts to boot? It should show HP and some F keys functions.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 bambavt

bambavt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:50 AM

NO when the screen comes on it's just a bunch of weird characters, some flashing, arrows, smile faces, numbers, letter,. I never get to the HP screen or anything close to it looking like it is going to boot up.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:00 PM

Hi
If you never get anything you can read when you turn it on, before it starts to boot, you have video problems.

Desktop or Laptop
Model please, if Laptop the actual model number will be on the bottom in a form such as dv9000 on top of the laptop and dv9227US on the bottom. The bottom one is the true model. it could also be dv7-xxxx format.

Thanks
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users