Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD files recovery, I hope.

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Twisted13

Twisted13

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:40 PM

I didn't think I would be back here so soon.. :( But, after that nasty virus/trojans ordeal... I ordered new motherboard, same motherboard.. a new Western Digital 500GB Sata HDD. I had all my files saved on that little 160GB HDD though... But I accidentally deleted the volume on it.. :( Is there a way to get them back? I hope so!...

Edited by Twisted13, 14 June 2012 - 08:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fEaR iTsElF510

fEaR iTsElF510

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:46 AM

In theory you should be able to if the data hasnt been overwritten, you will have to use specific software though, i suggest using system rescue CD, boot from it it will give you tools to accomplish what you seek to do. PS....it can be difficult and intimidating if you arent you to using text based commands.

#3 Twisted13

Twisted13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:36 AM

Okay, I'll try that then too. I'm currently trying the Paragon partition manager 11 personal and going through the undelete partition wizard... Thanks for the suggestion. :) Yeah, I didn't do anything else with that HDD except the "delete" button when in the Advanced Options through Win 7 installation thing...where it lists the hard drives. Stupid me, just accidentally hit the delete on the wrong HDD... cause the little HDD with the files was listed first... I was rushing through.. then boom. :(

Note: That same HDD is in the same tower as my 500GB one with Win7 installed. It's secondary, the 500GB with Win7 is primary HDD. So not sure about a boot disk.. ?

Edited by Twisted13, 15 June 2012 - 04:39 AM.

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:38 AM

I had all my files saved on that little 160GB HDD though... But I accidentally deleted the volume on it.. :(

Ouch!

Re: "Is there a way to get them back?"
You should be able to recreate the volume/partition on that HDD quite easily with TestDisk, and resume normal access to it.

Edit: The undelete partition wizard sounds like it is exactly what you want!

Edited by AustrAlien, 15 June 2012 - 04:40 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 Twisted13

Twisted13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:42 AM

I had all my files saved on that little 160GB HDD though... But I accidentally deleted the volume on it.. :(

Ouch!

Re: "Is there a way to get them back?"
You should be able to recreate the volume/partition on that HDD quite easily with TestDisk, and resume normal access to it.

Edit: The undelete partition wizard sounds like it is exactly what you want!

Thanks for the reply! :) :D I'll look into that then! :D Oh wondering, in the Administrative > Disk Management.. is it possible to recreate Volume on it from there? Through normal windows 7 feature?

Edit: Yeah, I'm running it now, it's almost through first past... and didn't find anything yet... LOL! >_> Oddly, I ran a demo of this earlier in day, and found some stuff.. lol

Edited by Twisted13, 15 June 2012 - 04:43 AM.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:47 AM

... wondering, in the Administrative > Disk Management.. is it possible to recreate Volume on it from there? Through normal windows 7 feature?

No, stay away from that: It will not allow you to get your files back.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#7 Twisted13

Twisted13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:50 AM

... wondering, in the Administrative > Disk Management.. is it possible to recreate Volume on it from there? Through normal windows 7 feature?

No, stay away from that: It will not allow you to get your files back.

Oh, okay. Thanks for that tip! Thank God I didn't do anything with this HDD yet at all.. Except scanning it with Paragon Partition Manager...Buddies told me, if all I did was "delete" the volume, the files still should be there... deleting volume just apparently clears out the first few sections of partition/sectors? To tell whatever it's ready to be used again for something new installation over it all...I guess? Well, I'll let paragon do it's thing now.. and then try those other suggestions you guys said.

Edit: Paragon said no deleted partitions were found.. >_> There's allocated part, and unallocated part? Unallocated is the biggest part... I ran scan on...

Edited by Twisted13, 15 June 2012 - 04:52 AM.

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:55 AM

... if all I did was "delete" the volume, the files still should be there... deleting volume just apparently clears out the first few sections of partition/sectors? To tell whatever it's ready to be used again for something new installation over it all...

Correct.

Let me know if you need a hand with TestDisk: It is not exactly user-friendly .... but it it very good! TestDisk website has tutorial that probably explains exactly what you will need to do though.

Edited by AustrAlien, 15 June 2012 - 04:56 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 Twisted13

Twisted13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:58 AM

... if all I did was "delete" the volume, the files still should be there... deleting volume just apparently clears out the first few sections of partition/sectors? To tell whatever it's ready to be used again for something new installation over it all...

Correct.

Let me know if you need a hand with TestDisk: It is not exactly user-friendly .... but it it very good! TestDisk website has tutorial that probably explains exactly what you will need to do though.

Okay, thank you! Just might do that after this then. Last time I tried the paragon demo, I used the "recover lost partitions" option and it did find things. This time, I tried the other option and didn't find anything. Now I'm trying the "recover lost partitions" option again... and I should be able to do something with the "finds".. since it's paid version. I'll see how this goes this time... *crossing fingers* lol.

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:00 AM

Here you go: You won't need me at all!

Windows ‘File Recovery’ series : Part 3 Recover A Deleted Partition with Testdisk

Posted on March 8th, 2012 by James Litten
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#11 Twisted13

Twisted13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:04 AM

Here you go: You won't need me at all!

Windows ‘File Recovery’ series : Part 3 Recover A Deleted Partition with Testdisk

Posted on March 8th, 2012 by James Litten

LOL! Ya know, I think I have that Parted Magic already... From the Ultimate Boot Cd .. I burnt that ISO image to CD to use in other tower for HDD in that one... xD

Edited by Twisted13, 15 June 2012 - 05:04 AM.

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:06 AM

I think I have that Parted Magic already... From the Ultimate Boot Cd ..

:thumbup2:
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#13 Twisted13

Twisted13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:08 AM

Thanks man! I'll give that a go then.. :) ;) I'll report back with my outcome... xD

#14 Twisted13

Twisted13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:21 AM

I'm running TestDisk now, it's 85% through.. xD Keeping fingers crossed!! :D God this is awesome, I tried this before, on that 500GB that was hit by nasty viruses and etc.. and had some bad boot sectors... TestDisk is what actually told me originally I had bad boot sectors... I think like 4 or so... But the 500GB still did work, just some random BSODs....After I updated some drivers from a driver update program and installed them.. Everything seemed fine, didn't have BSODs. Ah well, I'm hoping this works!! Thank god this is a little drive too! Otherwise it would run forever.. lol

Edited by Twisted13, 15 June 2012 - 05:45 AM.

#15 Twisted13

Twisted13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:57 AM

alright, here's what TestDisk said after running search/scan whatever...

Warning: the current number of heads per cylinder is 135 but the correct value maybe 240. You can use the geometry menu to change this value. It's something to try if:
some partitions aren't found by TestDisk
or the partition table can not be written because partitions overlaps.

Option to Continue... Not sure after that then.. ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users