Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 not genuine?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mhess2788

Mhess2788

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:49 PM

Hello,

I have had some problems with my computer lately. Currently my desktop background is showing up as a black screen and in the lower right-hand corner there is this message:

"Windows 7
Build 7600
This copy of Windows is not genuine"

I got this computer (new) when I enrolled at my University and all the software installed is genuine, so I don't know why I am getting this message.

Please help, I don't know what to do :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:46 PM

Hello,

Please see the very useful information contained here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/genuine/faq

Basically what I would do is contact microsoft, and tell them your situation, they may be able to activate your computer for you and get you on your way. If not then I would contact the university and ask them.

See this link on how to activate over the phone, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/activate-windows-7-on-this-computer Scroll down the the section that says activate over the phone. :)

~Comp
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:29 PM

<<I have had some problems with my computer lately.>>

System manufacturer and model? Did you check the respective webpage for the system?

I know that some HP systems tend to have problems with the activation software going awry at times...but your activation woes may just be another symptom of something more troublesome.

Can you boot into safe mode? If so, does the desktop load properly?

Louis

#4 Mhess2788

Mhess2788
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:23 PM

Thanks Computerxpds!

@ hamluis,

It is a Dell latitude D630. I did try to activate/validate windows online and I was given this message "A problem occurred when Windows tried to activate. Error Code 0xC004F074." I can boot in Safe Mode, but my desktop looks the same as in normal mode (Black background with windows not genuine message).

#5 Mhess2788

Mhess2788
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:26 PM

I don't know if this matters, but as I'm looking at the instructions to activate windows 7( http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/activate-windows-7-on-this-computer) it is saying that windows must be activated within 30 days of installation, but I've had windows 7 on my computer for well over a year....... this doesn't make sense to me :(

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:59 AM

If your goal is truly to activate a legal install of Windows 7, there is telephonic activation.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Activating-Windows-7-frequently-asked-questions

Louis

#7 Chris Appleyard

Chris Appleyard

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:56 PM

Hey, Every Educational institute will get an "Corporate Licence" and that means you cannot use it OUTSIDE the Headquarters or institute .. so yeah I think that's the problem... Microsoft found that you have took it outside the licensed place. (Contact the IT Department in your Uni and see what they can do :D )
Thanks
Chris A

Edited by Chris Appleyard, 04 July 2012 - 06:57 PM.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world"
-Nelson Mandela

Windows 7 Home Premium | AMD Athlon II 250 Dual Core CPU | 4.0 RAM Kingston | Nvidia GT 520 | Elite Group MCP61M-M3 Motherboard | COMODO Firewall | Avast! Free | Google Chrome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users