Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware Related Soft Freezes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tarlin

Tarlin

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:24 PM

I've been experiencing soft freezes for a while now, essentially most programs acting as if they weren't responding. I can minimize and usually participate on IRC or other programs, but can't open anything during them. They eventually end and the computer acts like normal. I just replaced my motherboard and CPU to solve BSODs, which worked, and stress tested the CPU, so it works fine and the soft freezes occured on the previous motherboard and CPU. I tested both drives for bad sectors and they came out fine as well. The only remaining parts that were in the original build are the Wifi Receiver, Sound Card, and Graphics Card. I think that it may be a problem with the GPU but need some tests to make sure since I don't have any spares on me. Can anyone help?

Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance Power Supply
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 5770 Fermi
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy SE
CPU: Intel i5-3570K 3.4 GHz
RAM: 2 4GB DDR3 1600 G Skill Sniper RAM
Wireless Receiver: D-Link DWA-542 RangeBooster N Desktop Adapter
Primary HDD: 500GB Seagate HDD 7200RPM
Secondary HDD: 1TB Seagate HDD 7200RPM
DVD Drive 1: ATAPI iHAS120 6
DVD Drive 2: Optiarc DVD RW AD-7190S
Blu-Ray Drive: HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW GBC-H20L

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,467 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:59 PM

Hello,

I doubt that its the GPU if you are still able to interact with a program during an episode. First, I'm going to assume that you used the same ram with the new mobo? If so I would test that.. But again I some how suspect that this isn't caused by a hardware issue as much as I would say that its a software issue. Have you tried running a /chkdsk r ?

Running /chkdsk r:

Manual steps to run Chkdsk at the command prompt
1. Click Start, and then enter cmd in the search bar and hit enter
2. Use this following procedure:
Type /chkdsk r (notice space between the k and r)

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

Let me know how you do,
~Comp :)

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 Tarlin

Tarlin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:09 PM

Chkdsk came up clean for both hard drives as I figured they would. The RAM definitely isn't the issue as I've run memtest over night and it came up clean and yes I changed RAM before, the system still froze through the previous sticks as well, which I also found as good. Plus this is a two day old clean install of Windows 7 and the freezes were there while I was updating drivers. Like I said for how the soft freezes work I can mostly only move the mouse, minimize windows or open a new tab. The program will eventually not respond fully and can only be minimized. Right clicking random icons (not always the same one) on the desktop will get the desktop to freeze and the same happens in the start menu. Then all I can do is move the mouse around, though sometimes it does fully freeze, but again only momentarily.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,467 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:01 PM

Hello again,

Did some research.. Seems that it could in fact be an issue with the GPU. Did you use this site to update the GPU drivers?: Click Here

If that still doesnt help then I would say since you have eliminated everything else, its most likely the GPU..

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#5 Tarlin

Tarlin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:45 PM

Yup that's where I got 'em. Oh well time to save up for a new GPU. Where'd you look up the information. I'd like to read that myself

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,467 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:39 PM

Hello,

Sorry I tried looking for the links.. cant find them for some reason though.. Anyway, since it seems that's the only logical thing left then I would suspect it is in deed the GPU. I will continue to look for those links I should be able to find them eventually. :)

sigcomp.png 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users