Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Won't Start Up Correctly

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cedarrabbit

cedarrabbit

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:21 PM

Dell desk top computer with Windows XP
This is my mother's computer. It was running very slowly so I brought it home to run some cleanup programs on it. When I turned it on after getting it home, the CPU fan started up and raced at high speed like it was going to fly out of the case. The computer never started up on the screen. I opened up the case and checked the cables. When I turned it on again, it came on just fine and I was able to use it normally. I shut it down again and the next time I turned it on, it did the same thing with the fan. To stop it I have to unplug it because it won't turn off with the power button. If I plug in the power chord again, it starts right up with the speeding fan.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:22 PM

Sounds like the power supply. Also, when you opened it was it dusty? And if it was did you GENTLY get rid of the dust (preferably with compressed air)?

Also, what type of "cleanup programs" were you going to run?

#3 cedarrabbit

cedarrabbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:49 AM

So should I get a new power supply and see if that's the problem? Is there a way to test it?
It wasn't extremely dusty but did have some that I removed "gently" after the problem started.
I hadn't determined everything I was going to do, probably get suggestions here. I was going to run CCleaner and probably do an uninstall and reinstall of IE that is running extremely slowly. Also scan to see if there are any malicious programs.

Edited by cedarrabbit, 15 June 2012 - 11:59 AM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:35 PM

You didn't say what model Dell you had but might want to read this.

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14525

That is known as the GX280 "turbo fan syndrome".

I've seen other Dell models where the fan starts out slow and speeds up til it sounds like a mini jet engine. There was some troubleshooting ideas in that message to try out.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:57 PM

So should I get a new power supply and see if that's the problem? Is there a way to test it?

I would get a new PS from a retailer who will accept returns and give it a shot. Worst case, you can send it back.

#6 cedarrabbit

cedarrabbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:40 PM

I read the "badcaps" forum posts and, from what I saw, it looks like the problem is a bad board.

#7 cedarrabbit

cedarrabbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:55 PM

Thanks for the help.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:43 AM

Did you try this test just to be sure. And if you have a spare power supply you could try Allan's idea just in case.

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpost.php?p=242674&postcount=33

The easiest test we've found is to push down on the top of the fan on the CPU heat sink, if it boots with the added pressure your problem is cracked solder balls under the 775 CPU socket.

Note that you have to press then turn on to test.
The other thing to try is press on the two large chips and turn on and see if it works that way. Just for example on T41 Thinkpads if you pressed the top of the ATI video chip and it worked then you knew.

It only matters to try this if you want to know what went wrong of course.

The rest of the parts are most likely good including any important data.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 16 June 2012 - 09:45 AM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#9 cedarrabbit

cedarrabbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:11 AM

I tried the "pressing" ideas but they didn't make any difference. I decided to try replacing the board, since I can get one for only $25, and see if that solves it. Thanks

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:50 AM

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users