Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Flash Player

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mike03car

mike03car

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:16 PM

My Win7 64 bit desktop and laptop both run Adobe Flash 11.3.300.257 but a gaming friend has a Flash 10.1 release on her Dell Laptop. I'll have her try to update to Flash 10.3 if she can on Adobe's site, but I have a question: is she maybe using 32 bit windows and that's why her Flash client is different than mine? I thought maybe at first it might be a desktop/laptop thing but then I checked my latter and nixed that hypothesis. So is Flash client 10 for 32 bit or why would 10 be on a windows o/s computer instead of the latest client like mine? If it's not a 32/64 bit thing, should she not be able to update from Flash 10 to Flash 11? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:03 PM

Adobe Flash Player...and Java...and Windows...all are updated routinely in an effort to provide the best known security to user systems.

Users who do not update either of these...is behind the power curve re minimizing system vulnerabilities, since many (if not all) of these updates are pushed out in response to known vulnerabilities.

Using an older version or ignoring critical updates...is analogous to parking/leaving your car in downtown New York city and leaving the car keys in, with Windows rolled down, IMO.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 14 June 2012 - 05:04 PM.

#3 mike03car

mike03car
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:17 PM

Adobe Flash Player...and Java...and Windows...all are updated routinely in an effort to provide the best known security to user systems.

Users who do not update either of these...is behind the power curve re minimizing system vulnerabilities, since many (if not all) of these updates are pushed out in response to known vulnerabilities.

Using an older version or ignoring critical updates...is analogous to parking/leaving your car in downtown New York city and leaving the car keys in, with Windows rolled down, IMO.

Louis

On similar note, Shockwave is manual download and update, correct? How come when my friend goes to Adobe Flash download site, it tells her that 10.3 on her laptop is updated, instead of instructing and guiding her to upgrade to 11.3?

Edited by mike03car, 14 June 2012 - 05:20 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:36 PM

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html , webpage your friend should be going to.

Although I try to explain everything that I understand about computing...I cannot answer your question about your friend's update efforts.

I can tell you that 10.3 is quite outdated.

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

Louis

#5 mike03car

mike03car
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:03 PM

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html , webpage your friend should be going to.

Although I try to explain everything that I understand about computing...I cannot answer your question about your friend's update efforts.

I can tell you that 10.3 is quite outdated.

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

Louis

The helpx page says 10.3 is for Mac and Linux, so that answer that. The download page shows that as well (was already using that page as was my friend) and a Flash for windows 10.3 for previous versions of IE and Netscape (LOL, people still use that browser?). I'll try to get her to install 11.3 as well as Shockwave, which I updated today.

Edited by mike03car, 14 June 2012 - 09:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users