Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program fault corrected only by complete shut down

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SCCAC Instructor

SCCAC Instructor

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:24 AM

What doesn't get shut down with a Restart that does get shut down with Shut down?

I am running a data collection software called QuickDAQ connected by USB to a DT9818 board. When the Run icon is clicked, the program enters a wait state; data collection starts when a trigger condition occurs. If the trigger does not occur, I click stop and after about 20 seconds everything appears to go back to the conditions that existed before I clicked Run. But when I exit the program and then try to load the program again, it will not reload properly. (It loads showing no connection to the data collection board, no settings, etc.) I have found only one way to get this restarted. I use the Shut down command to shut down the computer and then start it again (restart does not clear the problem). I can then load the program, but the settings for the data collection channels return to the default values and have to be reset.

I THINK there is a clue to what is happening in the observaton that a system restart DOES NOT clear the problem. Only a complete shut down and start will allow me to get the program loaded again. Does anyone know what restart might not reset that a shut down does?

I have watched Task Manager Processes and see that QuickDAQ.exe does not disappear when I exit the program after this missed trigger. When it runs normally I see that QuickDAQ.exe does disappear from the Processes window. (In both cases it disappears from the Applications window.) I have tried Ending it from Task Manager, but cannot get it to End. If I do a Restart, it does not reappear in the Processes window, but still can't get the program to load correctly.

I have tried using the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon to disconnect the data collection board after closing the program following a missed trigger. However, the message is that there is a program still accessing the board. Since the trigger signal comes from the board, I suspect that there is some subprogram waiting for that trigger that doesn't clear when the program is closed. I have also tried unpluggin the USB without using the icon, plugging it back in and then trying to load the program; still no success.

I have worked with Data Translation (makers of the software and DT9818 hardware); they have been unable to duplicate the problem.

If I knew what the difference was between Restart and a Shut down and start, perhaps I could figure out what is causing the program to fail to close completely.

If you know someone who might know the answer, please bring this to their attention.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:34 AM

A completed shutdown clears the memory and removes the power to most everything. Their for when you do a cold boot the bios go through their check and Windows go through it checks and things are set back to where their suppose to be. One my two Windows 7 PC's I notice that on a restart the motherboard, fans, video card and fan still run. A cold start up can solve many small problems also. At times it helps Windows Up Dates install better than a restart.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users