Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deciding to format hard drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jimvt

jimvt

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:09 AM

After 2 weeks trying to remove a nasty boot virus I have given up on the *0%!~ thing.

Many thanks to m0le from the UK for his dedicated help.

Before I pull the plug...is there a tutorial telling how to format a drive safely?

Should I unplug modem, router, my wife's computer linked to mine?

Thanks to all at BP.

Jim D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:16 AM

If you're not sure how to reformat and reinstall Windows, please review:
These links include specific step-by-step instructions with screenshots:Vista users can refer to these instructions:Windows 7 users can refer to these instructions:Don't forget you will have to go to Microsoft Update and apply all Windows security patches after reformatting.

Note: If you're using an IBM, Sony, HP, Compaq, Toshiba, Gateway, Dell or other manufacturer built computer, you may not have an original CD Disk. By policy Microsoft no longer allows OEM manufactures to include the original Windows CD-ROM on computers sold with Windows preinstalled. Instead, most computers manufactured and sold by OEM vendors come with a vendor-specific Recovery Disk or Recovery Partition for performing a clean "factory restore" that will reformat your hard drive, remove all data and restore the computer to the state it was in when you first purchased it. Please read Technology Advisory Recovery Media.

If the recovery partition has become infected, you will need to contact the manufacturer, explain what happened and ask them to send full recovery disks to use instead. If you lost or misplaced your recovery disks, again you can contact and advise the manufacturer. In many cases they will send replacements as part of their support.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users