Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformat Another Computers Drive

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 07:53 AM

Can I pull a drive from one computer, stick it in mine, reformat that drive and stick it back in the original computer and then reinstall the OS on it? The computer is a dell and it's so loaded with spyware and whatnot that I'm contemplating just reformating the drive and reinstalling the OS on it.

I'd just reinstall the OS, but I've noticed that with Dell systems, they keep the "My Documents" and some other folders when you reinstall the OS even though I tell it to delete everything. Grrrrr....Dell.....Grrrrr....

Or is there an easier way to reformat the drive without having to pull it, install it in my comp, then pull it from my comp, then reinstall it in the original comp?
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:05 AM

Or is there an easier way to reformat the drive without having to pull it, install it in my comp, then pull it from my comp, then reinstall it in the original comp?

You can run Killdisk to delete everything including any infections. This is a free progam and can be downloaded HERE. Put the program on a floppy disk or a CD.

Then run a DOS disk, such as a Windows 98 start up disk, when the computer boots to DOS, type "C:" (without the quotes), push ENTER. Then type "fdisk" (without the quotes), push ENTER, then just push ENTER at each selection that you are prompted to make (in other words, just accept all defaults). You can download what you need HERE.

Then reboot with your XP CD in the cd drive and reinstall Windows.

Be careful about reinstalling your data as it may contain a virus or other malware.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 02 March 2006 - 08:26 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:59 AM

Sounds great! Thanks for the info, I'll give it a whirl :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 11:58 AM

I love killdisk.....proven to be one of the most effective tools around..freeware... :thumbsup:
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 02:45 PM

FYI: Digtal Dolly has the same features as the paid verison of KillDisk. It not only has a single pass wipe but the DoD 7pass wipe, and the Gutman 38pass wipe.
Thought you would like to know.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 07:12 AM

:thumbsup: :flowers: I completely forgot, I have Nortons Utilities and that has a disc wipe on it...I believe it's 7 pass DoD standard....would that do the trick?
Posted Image

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 07:38 AM

Yep. That will do. 1 pass is fine. Most would say I am Black Helicopter paranoid. Only if nothing goes wrong. I have haad virus' on a computer after a fresh install that were unexplainable. I have never had a virus on a computer that I did a wipe before I format the drive.

#8 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 03 March 2006 - 08:27 AM

I have never had a virus on a computer that I did a wipe before I format the drive.

Me too. I have seen viruses reinfect a computer within a few minutes of turning it on after Windows was reinstalled, if Killdisk or a similar program was not run first.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#9 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:07 AM

Ok, so then I should wipe the drive then reformat it?
Posted Image

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:32 AM

Wiping the drive writes information to every space on the drive, destoring the data as it does. Formating lays down a file system and type for the operating system to use.
If you wipe a drive, write of the data, you insure that any progrms on the drive (virus' in this case) are destroyed. This removes the possiblity of reinfection from the same drive. Unless I misunderstand format, it only removes and reorganiszes the file system. The data is still there. That is how you can recover it. As long as you don't write to that part of thedrive it is recoverable. Format just removes the marks the OS uses to protect data from being overwritten, unless instructed to do so.
That is my understanding of the difference between format and wipe.

#11 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 01:09 PM

Works for me. My defination would've involved a cheese grater and a monkey :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the help!!!!!
Posted Image

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 03:18 PM

:thumbsup: Really?

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:48 PM

Sounds painful for the monkey.

#14 Kruncher

Kruncher

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:50 PM

I use DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke) http://dban.sourceforge.net/ .
It is open source and runs entirely off a disc or floppy. It has a few levels of security, and you can specify the rounds it does. It can wipe multiple drives at once (I believe). It is just wonderful all around (except when it doesn't boot).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users