Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Ultimate Frozen on "Starting WIndows"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 metman07

metman07

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:57 PM

Hello all, I have a late model Gateway MT6451 laptop. It has Windows 7 Ultimate on it now, it came with Vista. The computer was running 200% until the other day. My daughter woke up to use it and it just hung on the "Starting Windows" screen and you didn't see the Windows symbol slowly fluttering to the front.

1)I restarted the laptop and the same thing happened.

2)Next I tried to boot with last known good config, same thing again.

3)Then I tried to boot into Safe Mode, it loads the files and then just freezes when they are done loading.

4)I then got my wiindows cd and booted from there, after loading all the files, the "starting Windows" screen hangs as usual.

5)I made a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate Media Refresh with SP1; thinking that maybe because the original Ultimate cd was w/o any SP's on it, that would make a difference. It didn't, it did the same thing as the original Ultimate cd did.

6)I ran Hiren Boot CD 15.1. I ran a scan on the HDD. It did say the HDD has errors but nothing specific. I then ran to repair sectors and partition but that gave me no results.

7)I also tried to boot from the various cd's w/o the HDD inside and that didn't matter either. After loading files, the same "stating Windows" screen hung.

8)Lastly, I pulled the ram one by one to see if that made a difference but no, the usual happened.

To add, the laptop has been getting extremely hot lately too. It used to get pretty hot but this cook a egg on it hot.

Any ideas on what this can be?

Thanks, CL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:54 AM

<<I ran a scan on the HDD. It did say the HDD has errors but nothing specific. I then ran to repair sectors and partition but that gave me no results.>>

I would run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic on the hard drive. This diagnostic is normally available at the website of the respective hard drive manufacturer.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Louis

#3 metman07

metman07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:04 PM

Thanks Louis but the fact that the machine wouldn't load up w/o the HDD installed point to a different area of problem? I understand that when booting from a cd, the system would load from the cd and I'd be able to do certain repairs then. No?

Thanks so much

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:10 AM

<<...the fact that the machine wouldn't load up w/o the HDD installed point to a different area of problem? I understand that when booting from a cd, the system would load from the cd and I'd be able to do certain repairs then. No?"

Windows...is installed on the hard drive.

You cannot boot into Windows without the hard drive on which Windows is installed.

Booting without the hard drive should result in some message telling you that no O/S is found...not sure where you are getting your info or if you are interpreting it correctly.

Booting from a Win 7 installation DVD...only provides access to two things:

a. Startup repair options

b. Installation options

Looking at the Gateway website...I see that Vista is the only O/S supported for that system. No drivers for Win 7, I see that as a problem.

Louis

#5 metman07

metman07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:50 PM

I have never had a problem with the drivers. The laptop has been Windows 7 for years now. Vista is/was pathetic, so I upgraded. Can't imagine that now a driver is the issue. Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users