Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't connect to the internet with wifi

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 333nnn

333nnn

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:34 PM

My landlord has wifi for all the apartment units. I just installed a new motherboard and memory in my computer myself and got the computer running fine, but I can't figure out how to connect to the internet. There is an icon in the system tray that says "Local area connection 2. A network cable is unplugged". I have never used wifi before. I was using DSL before now. The antennae is marked "Trendnet TEW-645UB", and I have it plugged into its base and the usb plug connected firmly to my pc and have tried different usb ports. When I started up my pc for the first time after installing the new hardware I got messages from I believe my Comodo firewall warning that "Realtek.exe" or something like that was trying to install programs. Since Realtek is not the name on the wifi antennae I chose to not allow the programs to install. I turned off Avast, Comodo, and the Windows security and tried to connect to the internet to see if they were blocking something, but I still couldn't get on the internet. When I go into control panel there are several Realtek program icons shown. I have XP Home on my computer and use Avast scanner version 5.0.462 and Comodo firewall version 3.13.121240.574. I'm sure these are outdated because my computer has been in storage for a long time.

Under Device Manager there are yellow question marks to the left of "other devices" and "802.11nWLAN". At the bottom of the list there is a yellow exclamation point to the left of "unknown device". In Comodo under "DEFENSE +" "Application" There are eight "C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE\" listed on the left with the date 4/12/12 to the right. There is nothing new under "view firewall events" or "my blocked files".

I found the Trendnet cd and installed the utility. I then connected the antennae to the usb port as the instructions said. The quick install guide on the utility cd said that after connecting the antennae to the usb port that these messages would come up: "Found new hardware wizard" then "Install the software automatically" then double click on the wireless client utility in the system tray then "site survey" is supposed to come up then in "site survey" I am supposed to select "ssid". None of these messages came up even when I restarted the computer with the antennae connected to the usb port. I tried a few different usb ports. When I double click on the wireless client utility in the system tray this message comes up: "802.11 Wireless client utility" and under this in the same window: "The adapter is not present" and "ok" beneath that. This same "802.11 Wireless client utility" message pops up everytime I start my computer. Since the message "Found new hardware" never pops up and the "802.11 wireless client utility, the adapter is not present" does pop up does that mean the antennae is bad? Thanks for any replies.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:03 PM

Go into your Device manager and right click on the 802.11nWLAN device with the yellow exclamation point and select Properties. Tab over to the Driver Pane and select update driver, Allow windows to search for the driver. It should find the driver that was installed by the Installation software. If it does not find the Driver, Right click and Select Uninstall. Reboot the computer and let Windows reinstall it. If this should fail. Uninstall the device again as before do not reboot, next uninstall the software through Program manager in the Control panel. Then Reboot the computer and follow the directions included with the adapter. Likely you will install the software then connect the device and windows will install it properly.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 333nnn

333nnn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:57 PM

I could not connect to the internet because my manager changed the password and did not tell me. Don't worry I did not harm him. But now the connection is very weak. The signal strength usually reads "very low", and sometimes I cannot connect to the internet or when I do a search it fails. The signal strength varies from 5% to 33% or so. I have moved the antennae around which seemed to help a bit. There are several wireless security options. The one I always choose is WPA-PSK which is what is shown under the "Site Survey" tab for the SSID I am supposed to use, and for Encryption I always choose TKIP instead of AES.

#4 ShadyD

ShadyD

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:33 PM

You may have to get an aftermarket antenna to try and pick up the signal better, or have your landlord install a signal booster closer to your unit. Make sure there are not any big heating or cooling vents between you and the router. If you can move your computer, try putting it someplace else in your unit. There are some decent tools for smartphones to measure signal strength, so that might be easier to do before you move your system.

If you and your landlord are on good terms, you might want to have him change the encryption. WPA is good, WPA2 is better. TKIP is usually the standard, but AES is much stronger as well. There is nothing you can do from your side as the client - those settings must be made on the router.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users