Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security for Tablets

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 joggiwagga

joggiwagga

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:02 AM

Does anyone know of a program equivalent to DeepFreeze that would work for a tablet? Or other ways of locking them down for security and privacy? I am soon to be in the position try and figure this out as much as possible due to my boss wanting to circulate them to library patrons.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:51 PM

Hello, i hope this is helpful.

Perhaps someone with hands on experience will also reply.
I did find these Alternatives

This also looked promising.. Creating a Steady State by Using Microsoft Technologies
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 joggiwagga

joggiwagga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:59 AM

It gives me more places to look.

Part of the problem is I'm learning about tablets myself still in some ways. I know generally you can essentially "reset" the device since much of them are account based - BUT I'm not convinced that does a whole lot against any sort of malware that might have made itself at home on the device.

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:11 PM

Not familiar with DeepFreeze.
If the tablet is Android, there are few excellent products - Avast Mobile security, Dr.Web, Lookout and others.
Avast is free and includes AntiTheft.
The other two are free, but you need to get the paid version to have something equivalent to antiTheft.
As far as system misconfiguration - hard to do in Linux, but of course possible if you're rooted.
Avast also has a simple firewall, but requires admin rights, which in the Android language is called "rooting" = gain access to root, sort of like C:\Windows.

If your tablet is HTC, or Windows, or ... I have no idea, sorry.

Edited by tos226, 12 July 2012 - 10:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users