Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Load Several Applications and Some Apps Not Fully Functioning

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:04 AM

Cannot Load Several Applications and Some Apps Not Fully Functioning

Biggest Problems:
1. Cannot get into Firefox (my browser of choice) and other applications. Got the following message: Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item.
2. I can get into Internet Explorer 8 7 and access web pages, but it will not let me log into username / password sites that I have been using.

Other Observations / Problems:
1. I can open .txt .rtf documents.
2. In IE8, when I click on links to go to sub-pages or hit open in new tab / window, sometimes it will take me to the destination page and sometimes it will loop me back to the original page.
3. On my desktop all of the icons are highlighted, but again some apps will launch and others will not.
4. My CPU Usage has been running constantly at 100% but now it has run at 100%, but also run much lower like 40% or even as low as 8%.

Background:
1. I uninstalled Internet Explorer 7 yesterday using Revo Uninstaller, took a long time – 9 hours or so due to registry items. So I am assuming that something got deleted that should not. ETA: Weirdly IE7 is still loaded on my laptop.
2. The computer is a Dell Latitude D610.

Edited by Anne_ATL, 13 June 2012 - 11:40 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 th3p00r

th3p00r

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:34 AM

Did you scan the system for virus? if not, you should do so. Boot computer into safemode with networking, download malbytewares and scan your system. Also throw in SuperAntispyware after malbytewares.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,408 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:43 AM

Aside from browser/connectivity issues...what is wrong with the system?

What other applications appear to not be working properly?

Can you update your AV program...and run it?

CPU usage normally fluctuates, depending on what is running and how intense it is with system resources. What process is running whne usage spikes to 100%?

Louis

#4 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:03 AM

Here’s the latest. I have Malwarebytes installed and it was one of the programs that was not launching in normal mode. I went into safe mode as an Administrator and it launched and, after being prompted to update, I started the scan. I estimate that the scan will take a few hours.

I could go into Firefox in safemode and was able to log into a website.

I could go into Internet Explorer in safemode and was able to log into a website, BUT it was IE 7 that launched, so I am confused about that.

While waiting for a response here, I went to the following web page, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2669244, and got this instruction:

Method 1: Check to see if you have permission to open the file
Permissions are rules associated with files that determine if you can access the file and what you can do with it. To check the permission of the file or folder, follow these steps:
1. Right-click the file or folder, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Security tab.
3. Under Group or User names, click your name to see the permissions you have.
4. Click Edit, and then click to check the check boxes for the permissions that you need, and then click OK.

This did not work because I could not see the security tab, BUT now that I am in Safe Mode as an Administrator, I am seeing the Security tab and "Administrator" is highlighted. I am wondering if I highlight, "Users (LAPTOP\Users)" – I think that is the right option, if that will fix the problem. I am going to try that after the scan.

#5 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:13 AM

Aside from browser/connectivity issues...what is wrong with the system?

I cannot launch programs from my hard drive. I did not test everything but I could not launch Revo Uninstaller, Malware bytes, Adobe or Firefox.

I could launch WordPad and Internet Explorer 8 7, but in IE8 7, I could not log onto websites. For example, I could come to this website and lurk, but I could not log in and post this message.

Can you update your AV program...and run it?

I don't think that I tried to launch Avast, my AV program, but I did try to launch Malwarebytes and was not successful.

CPU usage normally fluctuates, depending on what is running and how intense it is with system resources. What process is running whne usage spikes to 100%?

It was running at 100% constantly, even when the system was idle. In recent weeks, I noticed here and there that it went down to into something like 80-90 range, but 98% of the time it was at 100%.

Edited by Anne_ATL, 13 June 2012 - 11:37 AM.

#6 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:18 AM

OK the Malwarebytes scan ran and came up clean.

I tried to edit in my other user name in safe mode and was unsuccessful, I don’t know if the issue is that that is not the true problem or if I am executing it wrong.

It appears that I can do stuff in safe mode so that is an acceptable workaround in the short term, I need to be complete some important tasks online in the next few days and hopefully I can do complete them in safe mode.

My AV, Avast will not launch in normal mode.

CORRECTION: The IE that is being launched in normal mode is also IE 7, I don’t know why that is happening since I uninstalled it yesterday.

ETA:
And another thing, every time I reboot my machine Windows installs updates, that has happened three or four times, I don’t know if that is a coincidence or not.

Edited by Anne_ATL, 13 June 2012 - 10:37 AM.

#7 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:33 PM

OK here's the latest:
I can access Firefox is Safemode, but I do not have all my functions in safe mode.

After working in safe mode for a day or two, I booted my computer and did a system restore and ta dah got my functioning back. Then I figured that I can try again to delete IE from my computer, but I was not going to delete the registry part, so that is what I did and it created the same problem I described in post 1. I did a malwarebytes scan and it came up clean. It will not let me install SUPERAntiSpyware, while it is installing I got an error message that it could not do shortcuts and it aborted.

HELP!!!!

Thank you.

ETA:
As I am writing this I am wondering if I should re-install or update IE, it is still on my desktop and still running in a limited way, so the uninstall did not take.

Edited by Anne_ATL, 21 June 2012 - 06:36 PM.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:32 PM

Hello, please run this....

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

Now
Please run SFC (System File Checker)
Please run System File Checker sfc /scannow... For more information on this tool see How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files

NOTE for Vista/WIN 7 users..The command needs to be run from an Elevated Command Prompt.Click Start, type cmd into the Start/Search box,
right-click cmd.exe in the list above and select 'Run as Administrator'

You will need your operating system CD handy.

Open Windows Task Manager....by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

Then click File.. then New Task(Run)

In the box that opens type sfc /scannow ......There is a space between c and /

Click OK
Let it run and insert the CD when asked.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:22 AM

OK I will give that a try EXCEPT I don't have my operating system CD but I do have a NTBR_CD.exe CD, will that work.

#10 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:27 PM

The result of the MiniToolBox scan is under the spoiler tag. Does anything seem awry to you. Thanks.

Spoiler

#11 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:31 PM

OK I will give that a try EXCEPT I don't have my operating system CD but I do have a NTBR_CD.exe CD, will that work.

Another question, is this different from doing a check disk run from my C drive? I tried to do that but my computer got stuck during the middle of that run, but I am going to try it again tonight. But if you think doing the NTBR_CD would be better I will do that instead, I just associate that with something you do when you cannot get to your control panel.

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:03 PM

Yes it is different.. Try it as you may not need the CD.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#13 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:14 AM

An update,
I deleted IE by just deleting the files from the folder and installed IE8 and for some reason that fixed the problem, but I am having two new problems:
1. my wireless network capability keeps coming and going, including the light coming on on the keyboard, the icon appearing on my desktop in the right corner and it even appears and disappears when I launch the from network connections menu. I am noting that here but I am also going to post in the wireless forum.

2. my computer keeps freezing, I am working or am idle and it will just freeze up, it is doing this quite often.

I ran the check/fix for the C Drive and that seemed to go OK, is there a way to generate an error report? When I re-booted my computer it flashed a message basically saying that the check had happened so presumably it went OK.

I think that it is time to get a new computer but I cannot afford that now and don't see that happening until the fall but in the meantime I need to be able to get into my computer to do important tasks, so hopefully I can resolve the two problems without creating new ones, which seems to be the loop I am in.

Also it is summer where I am, so I wonder if the heat may be having an effect on my laptop.

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:57 PM

I deleted IE by just deleting the files from the folder

this may have caused problems as it should have uninstalled thru Control Panel..
Maybe we can fix things by running SFC.

Please run SFC (System File Checker)
Please run System File Checker sfc /scannow... For more information on this tool see How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files

NOTE for Vista/WIN 7 users..The command needs to be run from an Elevated Command Prompt.Click Start, type cmd into the Start/Search box,
right-click cmd.exe in the list above and select 'Run as Administrator'

You will need your operating system CD handy.

Open Windows Task Manager....by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

Then click File.. then New Task(Run)

In the box that opens type sfc /scannow ......There is a space between c and /

Click OK
Let it run and insert the CD when asked.

#15 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:07 PM

^ Unfortunately I do not have my operating CD, it was lost / misplaced when I moved. Everything on my computer is legit is there someplace I can download it (or a substitute) for free if I provide my ID / serial number information. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users