Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop with Windows 7 shuts down

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bob_K

Bob_K

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:25 PM

I have an Asus laptop with Windows 7. Recently it began shutting down sporadically. It can run ok for an hour, or it can just shut down every few minutes. It doesn't seem to matter what I am doing. I can be working on a Word document, Excel spreadsheet, checking e-mail, or surfing the web. It will just decide to shut down.

Usually, it opens up right away again. When it re-starts, I usually get the option to open in safe mode, safe mode with network, or normal mode. Sometimes it opens with chkdsk, but before it finishes checking, it shuts down again. I've also had it open with just the desktop picture showing, but no desktop icons.

Does anyone have any ideas what this can be and, most importantly, what I can do to repair it?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Bob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lxxg

Lxxg

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:34 PM

The most common issue I've had with laptops shutting down like that is Dust build-up. If it's freezing and shutting down during a chkdsk in bootup I would probably say check to see if there is any dust buildup between the fan and the heatsink within the laptop (If you don't know how, I'd take it to a professional).

I'm not saying it's not a virus or any other problem. I'm just throwing in another possible easy solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users