Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Help Bad with a Acer Aspire Laptop! Please

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:56 PM

I have a Acer Aspire Laptop that was running Windows 7. The hard drive had totally crashed so I ordered one from Newegg. It came in and I installed the Western Digital Hard Drive. There was no problem in installing the hard drive. After installing I checked the Bios and the drive was recognized.

I had ordered from Acer a set of Recovery CDs which I used today to recover Windows. All went well and I had the system up and running. There were a 109 Windows updates that
I started. Went in the other room and came back in about a half an hour and the laptop was dead. I went into Bios and no drive was recognized.

I am not sure what else I could do to see if in fact the drive was bad. I mean I had it completely finished and running fine.

I've taken out and reinserted the hard but it shows no drive in Bios.

I would sure appreciate any and all ideas any of you might give to me.

Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:58 PM

I am not sure what else I could do to see if in fact the drive was bad

If you have another computer and by using a USB external enclosure, you may be able to check the status of both the new and old laptop drives. There maybe a chance that your hard drive is not well seated and needs to gently press while powering up your laptop and then try checking on your BIOS utility. Check also for any dented pins. Have you tried reapplying thermal paste for the CPU and look for any oxidation and burnt components?

Tekken

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:24 AM

Hi,

I would say if you can plug the drive into another computer and see if it is detected as mentioned by jhayz as a second step. First step try removing it and reseating it.
However As I remember that drive should be securely mounted when the laptop is reassembled.

By the way that should be a SATA hard drive that can be plugged directly into a desktop computer that has sata data and power connections.

It is also possible that the drive has died. infant mortality
http://quanterion.com/Faq/Bathtub_Curve.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 13 June 2012 - 11:25 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users