Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can i install a hd from one pc into another?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 aggadorr

aggadorr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

Hello, i am what you could call a novice extreme in regards to pc knowledge so the question i am asking is that my hd (with vista) on my pc has gone kaput so could i install a hd (with xp) from my back up pc into the pc which the hd has blown?

Please excuse my lack of pc language etc & any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 12 June 2012 - 09:13 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:12 PM

Well...you can install it...but I would not expect it to function properly. I would suggest a clean install on the moved drive, after it has been relocated.

The settings and drivers from one system...which are on the hard drive...are not interchangeable with those of a different system, even when the same O/S exists on both systems.

Background material: Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

It can be done successfully...if you Google, you will some reporting that they have done so. IMO, there is no guaranteed likelihood that such can be done without problems...and the clean install is definitely the smarter way to go, rather than trying to troubleshoot a series of continuing problems with the Windows install.

Along with the system operational problems which could be expected...there are also licensing/activation issues and possible driver issues (not all systems which came with Vista/Win 7 have XP drivers available).

Louis

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:13 PM

Technically, its physically possible if the connectors are the same-I would need the exact computer models (both of them) to give you an exact answer on that. As far as the operating system, that depends on the license, if its a retail license of XP you can transfer it over, if its an OEM license, you cannot, though you should be able to reinstall vista on the new hard drive in the newer computer as long as you got the system restore discs that came with the computer-just take the old hard drive out of the working computer, put in the new one, and install vista on it. (assuming the connectors are right)

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 aggadorr

aggadorr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:28 PM

Thanks guys, have both operating systems on disk so maybe a clean install of Vista would be the go, both pcs are AMD Athlon built within 15 months of each other

Motherboard for one is GA-K8N51GMF-9 the other is GA-MA74GM-S2H.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users