Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hard drive boot record wiped?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stephrider

stephrider

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:23 PM

I have a hard drive originally formatted with Windows XP and between one boot and the next the computers says no bootable media can be found. The drive is physically ok and tested ok and can still be detected by windows machines however when you try to view the drive in windowsdiskmanagement it wants to initialize and convert the drive as if its a brand new drive. Didn't do it because I needed to recover files so I ran Getdataback for NTFS and low and behold the entire hard drive is accessible with that program. What is a good program to repair the computers boot record? Is it the bootrecord that has been screwed with or the mbr? Is there a way to fix this without losing the files/whole drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:55 PM

Well...(I have GDB-NTFS) just because reocvery software can view all files today...is no indication that the drive is healthy.

You may be right in your assumptions/premises about the boot record, etc...but I would move all valued files from the drive...then run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic on it...before I assumed that it is OK.

Typically, when Disk Management thinks that the drive needs initialization/formatting...it's a file system (NTFS) problem, which may itself be the result of a hard drive problem, IME.

What is RAW file system - http://www.raw-file-system.com/

Louis

#3 stephrider

stephrider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:33 AM

All important files have been moved to another location thanks to GDB. As I said, drive tested fine. I would have run PTD but Easus isn't selling it anymore is there another program with the capability of repair for the boot sector? :huh:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

I recall some members mentioning Test Disk, http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk .

Louis

#5 stephrider

stephrider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:55 PM

That looks promising - thank you

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:27 PM

If possible, let us know if TD does anything beneficial to your situation :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users