Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Teaching an older generation basics skills

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ident

ident

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:03 PM

Struggling to think where to begin. The said person use to work with computers but bow struggles to organize folders, Thinks Hotmail is only accessible by thatthat user logged and does not realize it's on a different server.

I am a .NET programmer but have no idea what basic skills are are.

Advice, Help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:56 AM

Hi Ident,

I teach basic computing as a volunteer in our local library to mainly students who are between 'older' and 'elderly' and I have learnt to be flexible. Essentially, I reduce it to the basics and then drill them in how to use the basics.

1 Keep it simple. Forget your detailed knowledge of how programs and systems work, very few users even need to know what a server is !

2 Practice, practice, practice. Once you have got your student an e-mail address, make sure they know how to log-in, read, write and send e-mails, and how to log-out. I do this by sending them half a dozen e-mails per session and then: Open browser, log-in; deal with one e-mail; log-out, close browser, repeat ! After they have got the basics of simple e-mails I move onto attachments, with a similar routine.

3 Storage and folders. The nice thing is that the Windows default is 'My Docs'. All you need to do is teach your victim how to open a new folder inside 'My Docs' from within the 'Save as' dialogue, and to impress on him/her that it makes sense to put letters to your bank manager in a different box from letters to your Aunty Mary. I use public and heavily protected computers in the library and have to use a memory stick to save anything, which does have the advantage of teaching people to navigate to a different drive, but most people don't have to.

4 Keep it simple. Most users, including experienced ones, have no need to know HOW a program works, only how to USE it. Don't try to teach people how a computer works, teach them how to use it. Once they are comfortable with the idea of using it, and have got round to producing usable work, then, if they want to, they can go deeper into the mysteries.

Regards, and best of luck,

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:44 PM

Very well put Chris. Don't try to teach people how a computer works, teach them how to use it.

#4 bitesized1612

bitesized1612

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

I worked on a project that helped create user guides (for email templates) for an older generation of workers. I learned that the key of good explanations is to consider what skills the person already has and then apply them in your teaching/instruction method. People aren't necessarily incapable of learning something new as long as they can see where it fits in their normal routine. This is a consideration not just for older people (all the computer gurus in my house are over 40) but for younger people too.

Hope that helps. :)

Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) // HP EliteBook 8460p = 2.50GHz + 8GB RAM 

AVAST! - Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox - LibreOffice - Rainmeter

Currently Testing: Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE on a Dell Inspiron 531 (2.1Ghz +3GB RAM)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users