Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to wipe HD prior to giving to charity

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bsgranpa

bsgranpa

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:14 PM

I got my grandson a new Dell laptop for college as his old Sony would freeze, sputter and die at the most inconvenient of times. I have the restore disk from Sony, but get an error message when I try to boot from that disk and do a fresh install. I cannot sign on to Windows since my grandson's password does not seem to work (he swears it's the right one), so I could format the HD and wipe it. Short of removing the HD, is there something that will work? Should I simply buy a copy of XP and see if it will boot from the CDROM and format it that way. Ideas? Easy solutions? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bsgranpa

bsgranpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:19 PM

Never Mind, I found something called Derik's Book and Nuke. Burned the ISO and it's right now busy overwriting the HD 31 times. Pretty cool.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

Glad you resolved it, that would have been the suggestion by some members :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:53 PM

dban: Darik's Boot and Nuke

Yes, I was intending to post that suggestion ....

Cool tool indeed! :thumbup2:
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 bsgranpa

bsgranpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:58 PM

Thanks Louis, old friend. I finally got rid of that old Toshiba you kept trying to help me with so I've been a less frequent visitor here. Good to see you're still "sharp as a tack". Just ordered a new desk top for my office. I went with a SSD plus HD so I'll see what speed looks like since I've never really experienced it. Thanks again.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:52 PM

You are welcome...and thanks for the compliment (whether I deserve it or not):).

Louis

#7 janaphillips

janaphillips

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:25 PM

Adding to this thread, I have an old HP Pavilion 752n (running Windows XP Professional SP3) using PS2 keyboard that I want to dispose of and have successfully created a DVD with Darik's Nuke and Boot; however, I can't get the PC to boot from the DVD. When I reboot, there will be a "Boot from CD" prompt for about a second so I quickly hit any key but it continues to load Windows.

My BIOS listings are as follows: WOL Boot Order, Hard Disk Book Seq, Optical Drive Boot Seq, Network Boot Seq, Quick Power on Self Test, F9 Boot Menu, First Boot Device, Second Boot Device, Third Boot Device, Fourth Boot Device, Boot Up Numlock Status,Security Option, APIC Mode, MPS Version Control for OS, HDD Smart Capability, AFS Support, BIOS Write Protection, and AMD NX Function. My CMOS features are as follows: IDE Channel 0 Master (name of DVD-ROM); IDE Channel 0 Slave (None); SATA Channel 1 Master (name of hard disk); SATA Channel 2 Master (None)

I changed the BIOS order so first boot device is optical drive (DVD-ROM drive), second boot device is removable (floppy drive), third boot device is hard disk, and fourth boot device is network. Do I need to go into the WOL Boot Order, Hard Disk Book Seq, Optical Drive Boot Seq, and Network Boot Seq to make some changes as well? Current settings are: WOL Boot Order=Normal Boot; Hard Disk Boot Seq=1. Ch1 M + name of hard disk and 2. Bootable Add-in Cards; Optical Drive Boot Seq=1. Ch0 M with name of DVD-ROM; Network Boot Seq=1. Network 0: MBA v8.1.55 Slot 0200 and 2. Legacy LAN cards.

My Boot Menu displays as follows:

Select a Boot First Devive

Hard Disk

- Ch1 M (name of hard disk)

- Bootable Add-in cards

Optical Drive

- Ch0 M (name of DVD-Rom)

Network

- Network 0 MBA v8.1.55 Slot 0200

- Legacy LANcards

Is there something somewhere in my settings that is preventing a boot from the DVD? I've spent considerable time trying to work this out so I'm hoping someone can provide me with the correct solution. Many thanks in advance.

JP

#8 bsgranpa

bsgranpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:27 PM

I'm not sure about all the specs you are listing regarding the BIOS, etc.  However, I do know that you must burn the Nuke & Burn as an ISO for it to work.  I'm such a novice that I don't even know what ISO means.  I just know that it has to be that way.

#9 janaphillips

janaphillips

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:59 AM

Thanks for your reply. I don't think that the problem is with the actual DVD. It has the 8 files (created from the ISO) and I used a recommended slower burn speed of 4x. I'm using version 2.27 of Nuke and Boot and I know I could even try older versions of the program but before I do that, I wanted to see if something was obviously wrong with the BIOS settings.

From another site, I read the following: "If the CDROM is on the second IDE interface, it's possible the BIOS won't boot from it. I have worked on motherboards before that would only boot from the CDROM drive if it was connected to the primary IDE connector. If so you will need to move the CDROM to the same cable as the HDD. Make sure you set the HDD to Master and the CDROM to Slave. The HDD should be ide-0 and the CDROM should be ide-1. The secondary controller would IDE-2 and IDE-3. With the HDD at IDE-0 removing IDE-0 from the boot list is only telling the bios to skipping the HDD as a boot device. Once you have both drives on the same cable and jumpered correctly you will still have to ensure the BIOS boot order has the CDROM first."

Unfortunately, I have no idea what any of that means and wouldn't want to make major changes to the BIOS without guidance from an expert. If I can't find the solution, I guess I could just get a sledgehammer and smash the inside of the PC so no data could be recovered.

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,209 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:53 PM

I do know that you must burn the Nuke & Burn as an ISO for it to work

You just made me dig out my trusty copy of 'Boot and Nuke' - and there are several hundred files on it !

You download 'Boot and Nuke' as an ISO file, then you need to use something like 'ImageBurn' to burn it to disc. This converts the ISO image into files that your computer can recognise and work with when booting. You can get 'ImgBurn' from here :

http://www.imgburn.com/

Chris Cosgrove

#11 janaphillips

janaphillips

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:47 AM

Thanks for the reply. Rather than waste more time figuring out how to boot from a DVD, I decided to run DBAN (Boot and Nuke) from a Flash Drive. To learn how to do this, I Googled "How to Boot DBAN Off USB Drive to Wipe Out the Hard Drive." The <nextofwindows> Web site has easy-to-understand steps (with screen shot images) and instructs to 1) download the latest DBAN (2.28), 2) download the Universal USB Installer (from the <pendrivelinux> Web site), and 3) launch the Universal USB Installer. After successfully creating a DBAN USB Flash Drive, I plugged it into my old PC that has the hard drive I wanted to wipe. In the BIOS, I had set the USB (removable) as the First Boot device. For instructions on how to use DBAN and what settings to choose, there are various video tutorials to choose from. The method I chose took 4 hours and 29 minutes and upon completion, the DBAN main screen displayed the name of the hard drive and below that the word (success). Then another screen displayed "DBAN succeeded / All selected disks have been wiped" plus the word "pass" next to the name of the hard drive. Now, my old PC is ready to dispose of and I don't have to buy a sledgehammer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users