Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2Wire/Netgear Port Forwarding Issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 floydhead73

floydhead73

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:43 AM

Network Devices: AT&T 2wire 2801HGV modem/router and Netgear N570 WNDR4000 Router
Ports Forwarded:777 and/or 31337
Purpose: Terraria Server Hosting
Background Info: Our ISP has recently been switched from Comcast DSL to AT&T. As a standard, AT&T replaced our old modem with their 2WIRE. All three of the computers on the network had been connected to the Netgear router. With the installation of the 2wire, they presumably still are. This had been done at another house, and the "competition" of the 2wire with the original router had caused problems. The 2wire their also refused to port forward.

I am not a networking expert so, if information is missing, let me know. Here's what I did: First of all, I checked that the port 7777 was allowed through Windows Firewall and made sure it was an Inbound rule. Then,I went into the 2wire router. At the time I thought my pc was assigned to it; I've since learnt that it probably wasn't. I configured the router to forward port 7777 (I left the application type blank) for what I thought was my computer; it was actually the Netgear router. I tried doing the same using my internal ip: 10.0.0.3; I did the same using, for whatever reason, my external ip: 108.236.233.82. Then I did the whole process over using port 31337. None of this worked, and neither did allowing all applications through the router firewall (DMZplus mode). Then I entered my internal ip into the address bar of chrome; it took me to the Netgear router. First of all, and this may be important, it said that my pc wasnt assigned to the Netgear; this has happened twice since and it confuses the hell out of me. I was somewhat relieved, because it's much simpler to port forward with Netgear's UI, and I had never had problems with it before. Sadly, both ports remain closed despite the adjustments. As an addendum, I also seem unable to connect to another network which is successfully forwarding the 7777 port. Their Netgear router is successfully doing what mine refuses to.

At this point, I have no clue what the problem is; I suspect it may have something to do with the combination of a router and modem/router. I can't get help from either AT&T or Netgear because the problem is, on one hand, "out of their scope" and, on the other, a "$129 Problem". Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:35 PM

You will need to set the 2wire modem up in "bridged" mode and allow your router to do the port forwarding/firewall, and PPPoE (if needed).

This link may be outdated, but a quick Google search came up with this: http://www.ehow.com/how_5160159_put-wire-bridge-mode.html

Either way, you will access it via the modem's control panel and in "bridged mode" it will pass all the public IP address, etc. to your router.

Edited by NpaMA, 12 June 2012 - 12:36 PM.

#3 floydhead73

floydhead73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:24 PM

Well, there you go. That solved it! Thank you so much!

#4 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:26 PM

Great! Glad that fixed it.

I wish ISPs were more open with assigning bridged mode by default or made it easier to "use", especially considering that most PCs already have Firewalls installed and do not need to count on the modem's firewall.

Edited by NpaMA, 13 June 2012 - 12:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users