Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crashing at Desktop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jgamepro

Jgamepro

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:33 AM

Hey y'all! Long-term reader, first-time user. I've been having a lot of trouble here recently trying to get my computer to boot up. It's weird. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't it usually just forgets to turn on my devices including my monitor. When it does it will load like normal up until it reaches the desktop. At the desktop it'll load all my icons, all my start-up programs, updates, etc...etc... but 30-45 seconds after this my screen has a seizure of some sort. It freezes and the monitor becomes like static and then it cuts off all together.

Can someone tell me if this is some sort of hardware failure or a corrupt driver? I just need to know so I can go ahead and have it fixed. Also, I got it to work here recently for over 10 minutes and found out that my Norton antivirus was functioning really weird. I'd click on the icon and nothing would come up except a minimized box with the Norton logo. I searched online using my laptop and found out that other people were having the same problem after their install of Norton had become corrupt. Could this be the problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTechDude

TheTechDude

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:29 PM

There is a chance that this is a Norton install issue. Try booting your computer in safe mode. Safe mode does not load all of the drivers and some software so hopefully this will help to find the issue. To boot into safe mode when you first turn on your computer press "F8" repeatedly until you get a list of start up options. Then use the arrow keys to highlight "Safe Mode" and press Enter. Once in safe mode see if the computer still freezes. You will not be able to do some things when in Safe Mode like access the internet. if the computer does not freeze then you can try to uninstall Norton.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users