Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issue when trying to update Bios

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SnowDog2112

SnowDog2112

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:00 AM

Good Morning Folks.

First time poster, long time geeker, not so long techie.

I have an issue with my PC. Let me first start of with what i did and why i did it.

I have built a PC a bit back ago using a ASUS Striker Extreme. Last Thursday i tried to use my SD card reader as well as my USB adapter to try and pull pictures from my SDHC 32gb sandisk extreme U1 card and my computer did not reconize either and so doing a little research I read that i possibly have to update my Bios in order for it (PC) to reconize it. Personally I figured it was windows 7 that would have been able to reconize it but i was wrong. So i went to ASUS websight and i pulled down the latest Bios version (v.2002) and rebooted my PC to Bios and used the flash v2 to flash on the new bios. So everything looked like it was doing the right process. It deleted the v.1004 and installed the v.2002. When it was in the reboot process it did not reboot, it totally shut off the PC. Now when i go to turn it on i get everything like fans and HD's and DVD roms that turn on but nothing is on after that.
After trying to clear the cmos and even pulling everything out of the mobo i still dont have any sucsess. I have even grounded the terminals on the battery and nothing. the nice conveiniant thing about this mobo is it has its own clear cmos button instead of a jumper. After doing all that i broke down and bought a new bios chip assuming that i corrupted the other one and i still am haveing no luck with anything. I noticed that even the usb ports for like the keyboard and mouse dont even work so it is not even producing power to those. Please, any advise would be appreciated. :killcomp:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

Some motherboards have a backup BIOS, I dont suppose this is one of them? if so, it may be possible to enable the backup bios, but Im thinking that since replacing the chip didnt do any good that the motherboard is bricked.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:40 AM

Hi
I tend to agree with the_patriot11 with one Caveat.

Where did the replacement BIOS chip come from? ASUS? Are you sure it is the right one?

Some Bios have a method to recover from a bad flash.

Take a look at this post. http://www.overclock.net/t/395007/striker-extreme-bios-recovery Post # 3
try that with the old BIOS chip.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 SnowDog2112

SnowDog2112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

Hi
I tend to agree with the_patriot11 with one Caveat.

Where did the replacement BIOS chip come from? ASUS? Are you sure it is the right one?

Some Bios have a method to recover from a bad flash.

Take a look at this post. http://www.overclock.net/t/395007/striker-extreme-bios-recovery Post # 3
try that with the old BIOS chip.

Good Luck
Roger

Thanks,

I will try that as the only thing that starts up is the dvd-roms for 5 seconds. I dont even get usb support. Ill let you guys know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users