Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen after log in, unable to run Task Manager or any programs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 em1992

em1992

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:51 AM

My Dell Inspiron laptop with Windows 7 was working fine until yesterday evening.

When I turn it on, it loads the Log In screen and I am able to type in my password and log in. However, after that I am presented with a black screen and a white cursor. It will not let me open Task Manager and when I press alt, ctrl and delete, after a few minutes I get this error message "Failure to display security and shut down options".

I have tried System Restore but had no luck with that.

I am not able to run in Safe Mode either, it constantly freezes.

My laptop did not come with a Windows 7 operating CD.

Edited by em1992, 12 June 2012 - 08:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:06 PM

Hello em1992,

If both normal and safe mode booting are not working, you could try Last Known Good Configuration from the Advanced Boot Options Menu.

If that doesn't work, my suggestion would be to post in the Bleeping Computer's Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs Forum for two reasons. First, it would be a good idea to rule out malware as a cause and second, they have the tools and know how to help you get a non-booting system up and running.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:06 PM

I would amend the suggestion re posting a malware log topic...by directing you to post in the Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum103.html .

If malware is found in that forum, they would then provide you instructions on posting a topic in the Log Forum, whereas posting in the Log Forum .

The symptoms you describe are pretty generic and can be caused by various problems. A quick look via Google for that error reflects lots of speculation that was not fruitful.

In such a case, the AII forum would seem to be a better first choice for eliminating malware from the list of suspects.

Me...I would look at hardware first, since the problems also are apparent in safe mode.

It would help...if you can be more descriptive about just what transpires...when you tried safe mode, system restore, etc. Telling us that these didn't alleviate the problem...just isn't very useful, whereas error messages might actually reveal pointers toward whatever problems the system has.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users