Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Carbonite uploading

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Curious Mew

Curious Mew

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:12 AM

Recently got a good deal on Carbonite and using it to access my files via Android, but I have a question about uploading.

Just yesterday I went into the Power Options->Edit Plan Settings->Change Advanced Power Settings, when I found an option about turning off the Hard Disk at a certain time? Can someone explain this function? It seems I have HP Recommended Settings by default, and the Hard Disk will turn off after 15 minutes? That doesn't seem very long, of course I really don't know what it does.

I just want to be able to walk away from my computer, and know that my files are backing up correctly, so that I'm not wasting my time.

plz help :P

Edited by hamluis, 12 June 2012 - 06:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:43 AM

Recently got a good deal on Carbonite and using it to access my files via Android, but I have a question about uploading.

Just yesterday I went into the Power Options->Edit Plan Settings->Change Advanced Power Settings, when I found an option about turning off the Hard Disk at a certain time? Can someone explain this function? It seems I have HP Recommended Settings by default, and the Hard Disk will turn off after 15 minutes? That doesn't seem very long, of course I really don't know what it does.

I just want to be able to walk away from my computer, and know that my files are backing up correctly, so that I'm not wasting my time.

plz help :P

Turn off hard disks means just that it'll turn off the hard disks, so you won't be able to use any files on it(nor back up any of them). It helps when you put your computer on standby to save power. But since you're using your computer to back up files, you should never do that. Neither should you put your computer on standby, since it may disconnect the internet and thus not allowing carbonite to backup your files. Turning off the monitor is fine.

You should set 'Turn off hard disks' and 'Standby' to never for carbonite to function properly. Neither should you hibernate. So take care of that. Carbonite says the same too.

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 12 June 2012 - 12:45 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#3 Curious Mew

Curious Mew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:13 AM

Turn off hard disks means just that it'll turn off the hard disks, so you won't be able to use any files on it(nor back up any of them). It helps when you put your computer on standby to save power. But since you're using your computer to back up files, you should never do that. Neither should you put your computer on standby, since it may disconnect the internet and thus not allowing carbonite to backup your files. Turning off the monitor is fine.

You should set 'Turn off hard disks' and 'Standby' to never for carbonite to function properly. Neither should you hibernate. So take care of that. Carbonite says the same too.

Interesting. I'm surprised Carbonite doesn't make people more aware of this fact. I've done huge amounts of research into online backup services, and have found a lot of people complaining about Carbonite not restoring every file like it was expected to. Perhaps the 'turning off hard disks' feature might have been the culprit? For some odd reason, this 'hard disk' feature is tucked away in the advanced power settings, I can bet only a handful of people have actually found it.

So far I have only had my power settings dim the computer after 5 minutes. Have my files still uploaded correctly at this setting, even while leaving the 'hard disk' setting set to turn off after 15 minutes? Should I re-upload everything that I had left alone for an extended period of time??

I've never had to deal with this 15 minute feature before, I'm a little frustrated at the moment :mellow:

#4 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:36 AM

@Curious Mew
Well, if what had to be uploaded was supposed to take more time than just 15 minutes, then yes, all your files were probably not uploaded correctly. But if Carbonite is smart enough, i.e. it uploads files in parts(or keeps track of what was uploaded and what does not need to be), then you can just start the upload again and it'll only upload files that were previously not uploaded before. Then if carbonite is something that keeps running in the background uploading files, then I guess it should finish all the uploading all by itself without giving you anything to worry about. Otherwise, it'll just upload everything all over again, each time. And that can be annoying.

So, it's best that you set turn off hard disks, standby and hibernate to never.

..So far I have only had my power settings dim the computer after 5 minutes..

I don't know what exactly you meant by that, but by dimming if you meant turning off the monitor - then that shouldn't be a problem.

Personally, I like CRASHPLAN and I recommend it. For $3/month(so it's cheaper) you can get online and offsite backups - unlimited and it's considered to be very reliable, search the web if you don't believe me, it is. They also have tons of other great features, like for example, in the plus plan, you can have them come at your door with a hard drive to collect backups(which they will then quickly upload to their servers), if it's so very huge.

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 12 June 2012 - 04:39 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#5 Curious Mew

Curious Mew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:16 PM

@Curious Mew
Well, if what had to be uploaded was supposed to take more time than just 15 minutes, then yes, all your files were probably not uploaded correctly. But if Carbonite is smart enough, i.e. it uploads files in parts(or keeps track of what was uploaded and what does not need to be), then you can just start the upload again and it'll only upload files that were previously not uploaded before. Then if carbonite is something that keeps running in the background uploading files, then I guess it should finish all the uploading all by itself without giving you anything to worry about. Otherwise, it'll just upload everything all over again, each time. And that can be annoying. So, it's best that you set turn off hard disks, standby and hibernate to never.

My primary concern is uploading (purchased) software of at least 2GB or so in size. It's pretty hard to tell from my perspective if Carbonite is being smart about it's uploading, although it does appear to be doing its job. The only way to tell for sure is to download something in excessive size (something I'm definitely not too thrilled to try) and see. It would be my luck to have a hard disk failure, and then to restore and install a badly uploaded program on a new machine. Yikes.

Like I said before, at initial backup Carbonite doesn't mention anything about the 'hard disk' power feature, the link you gave only appears to be found on the site itself. I'll have to have their support about this, it's kind of important?!

..So far I have only had my power settings dim the computer after 5 minutes..

I don't know what exactly you meant by that, but by dimming if you meant turning off the monitor - then that shouldn't be a problem.

That's exactly what I meant. I'm just curious if you think my files still uploaded correctly, even with the 'hard disk' feature set to turn off after 15 minutes? If so, I don't think I have anything to worry about. I turn my computer off manually (to sleep), except this 'hard disk' feature is putting me in a tough spot. Can't decide why (by default) my computer wants to turn off hard disks after 15 minutes, when I already expect this to happen when I shut it down manually.

Personally, I like CRASHPLAN and I recommend it. For $3/month(so it's cheaper) you can get online and offsite backups - unlimited and it's considered to be very reliable, search the web if you don't believe me, it is. They also have tons of other great features, like for example, in the plus plan, you can have them come at your door with a hard drive to collect backups(which they will then quickly upload to their servers), if it's so very huge.

I appreciate your recommendation, but for my needs.. Carbonite is the only way to go. I've done a great deal of research into cloud services, and have found Carbonite to be the best suited. With a BBB rating of A+, "unlimited" backup, annual pricing w/2 months free, encryption, OS integration, and an Android app... it's one tough cookie to beat, at least for right now. Carbonite's premium service has the hard drive delivery service too, and on top of all this --Leo Laporte has recommended Carbonite many times on his TechGuy TWiT radio/podcasts. BAM! :thumbup2:

Edited by Curious Mew, 12 June 2012 - 04:30 PM.

#6 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:49 AM

My primary concern is uploading (purchased) software of at least 2GB or so in size. It's pretty hard to tell from my perspective if Carbonite is being smart about it's uploading, although it does appear to be doing its job. The only way to tell for sure is to download something in excessive size (something I'm definitely not too thrilled to try) and see. It would be my luck to have a hard disk failure, and then to restore and install a badly uploaded program on a new machine. Yikes.

Like I said before, at initial backup Carbonite doesn't mention anything about the 'hard disk' power feature, the link you gave only appears to be found on the site itself. I'll have to have their support about this, it's kind of important?!

Just because they didn't mention it in their site, it's not my fault. They should have but they didn't. A lot of apps even do this on their own while setting it up. They didn't.

That's exactly what I meant. I'm just curious if you think my files still uploaded correctly, even with the 'hard disk' feature set to turn off after 15 minutes? If so, I don't think I have anything to worry about. I turn my computer off manually (to sleep), except this 'hard disk' feature is putting me in a tough spot. Can't decide why (by default) my computer wants to turn off hard disks after 15 minutes, when I already expect this to happen when I shut it down manually.

By default, the hard disk turn off feature is set to 15 minutes to save power. You need not always stick with the default settings.

I appreciate your recommendation, but for my needs.. Carbonite is the only way to go. I've done a great deal of research into cloud services, and have found Carbonite to be the best suited. With a BBB rating of A+, "unlimited" backup, annual pricing w/2 months free, encryption, OS integration, and an Android app... it's one tough cookie to beat, at least for right now. Carbonite's premium service has the hard drive delivery service too, and on top of all this --Leo Laporte has recommended Carbonite many times on his TechGuy TWiT radio/podcasts. BAM!

Almost everything you said that Carbonite does, CRASHPLAN does too. CRASHPLAN has an andriod app, an iOS app, as well as a Windows phone app. It's very popular. And I like it a lot too. But then, finally it's your choice, if you want to stick with Carbonite. So be it. I have nothing to object. :)

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 13 June 2012 - 10:36 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users