Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.NET Framework 1.x patches

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fishingnut27

fishingnut27

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:09 PM

Hi,

I have a Windows XP machine that is consistently failing to install patches for .NET Framework 1.x. I have the specific patches and can extract the code errors. I have gone to MSFT's help site (answer.microsoft.com); I've gone to the main MSFT site looking for help and browsed a number of the MSFT forums. I've applied fixes and recommendations without any luck.

If anyone in Bleepingcomputer can help, I'd be greatly appreciated. Currently, I am not registering any functional errors. These patches are for security related issues with .NET. Secondly, I've run malwarebytes full version, AVG IS (their high end pro), Immunent, MSE and now Avast. I would say that the machine is clean for now. But you don't know what you don't know. :)

Attached are the patch IDs, associated error codes, current version and patch level of the OS. If there is other information that you require let me know. I happy to dig it up.

-Security Update for MicroSoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 on Windows XP (KB2416447) -- Error code: 0x66A
-Security Update for Windows XP (KB2686509) -- Error code: 0x8007F0F4
-Security Update for MicroSoft .Net Framework 1.1 SP1 on Windows XP (KB2656353) -- 0x643
-Security Update for MicroSoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP! on Windows XP (KB2656370) -- 0x643 (same as above)

System info:
MSFT Windows XP Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 3
Intel Core 2 CPU
T7200 @ 2.00 GHz
2.00 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM

I have all updates and patches for the .NET framework through 1.0, 1.1 to 2.0 and through 3.5 SP1

Please let me know if you can help!

M

-
-

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:17 PM

When this happened to me I googled "kb###### install fails" for whatever the update number was, that was failing. I would be led through the search results to another "MS" KB###### update article instructing me to dl & install that. It would fail also, so I would repeat the procedure, keeping track of these KB's & their order. Finally what I came to understand in one of those articles was that, even if it shows in "add remove programs" (/w/ "show updates" checked) that the .NET Framework version in question was there, that the version itself or one of the updates for it might not have "registered /w/ the parent program", & that the reason for this could be a corrupted installer. It was suggested to dl from Microsoft, the most recent version of MSI, (I believe it's 4.5 now). I did, & worked my way "back" through the KB's (past to present) & everything installed successfully. I hope it can work for you.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8483

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users